Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

plant clover just by disking?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default plant clover just by disking?

we have a single harrow plow. and our field is very big that we are planting our clover in. there is already some clover growing in the field, and the grass is very short. could we just disk it a couple times then roll it, then plant instead of plowing and then disking then rolling then planting?
id appreciate any help
Old 05-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: plant clover just by disking?

It might be best to use a spray to kill the grass only, and then sow clover. Very little if any tillage needed. Poast is a spray that would work, Arrow is another. Here is a place to purchase if interested in doing it that way.

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/
Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Isn't it the wrong time of the year to plant clover? I would spray also.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

It might be best to use a spray to kill the grass only, and then sow clover. Very little if any tillage needed. Poast is a spray that would work, Arrow is another. Here is a place to purchase if interested in doing it that way.

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/
i dont really want to do that becasue its very expensive and we dont have a boom sprayer, just a big one for our 4 wheeler that has little nozzle. if i just have the grass cut real low and then disked it a few times then rolled it would i be ok to plant clover? or burn the field before i disk?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Grass is one of the worst enemies of clover. Sprays that kill grass is by far the best method to ensure the clover has a chance to grow. The roots of the grass must be killed or it will bounce right back, with burning especially. You could possibly kill the grass by disking, but you would need to disk every couple weeks, all summer. It is getting late to plant clover in your area Mar20-May15. Sprays are expensive, but vital in a situation like yours. How large is the field? You might be able to hire somebody to spray it, in my area the going rate is $7 bucks an acre. If you used Poast or Arrow it would kill the grass only, leaving the clover and there will probably be clover sprout from seed already in the ground. I would not attempt to plant clover without killing the grass first. Just my 2 pennys

You could also use Gly to kill every thing, and it would be cheaper than the other methods mentioned.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

Grass is one of the worst enemies of clover. Sprays that kill grass is by far the best method to ensure the clover has a chance to grow. The roots of the grass must be killed or it will bounce right back, with burning especially. You could possibly kill the grass by disking, but you would need to disk every couple weeks, all summer. It is getting late to plant clover in your area Mar20-May15. Sprays are expensive, but vital in a situation like yours. How large is the field? You might be able to hire somebody to spray it, in my area the going rate is $7 bucks an acre. If you used Poast or Arrow it would kill the grass only, leaving the clover and there will probably be clover sprout from seed already in the ground. I would not attempt to plant clover without killing the grass first. Just my 2 pennys

You could also use Gly to kill every thing, and it would be cheaper than the other methods mentioned.
the whole field is about 1 1/2 acre plus but im only planting clover on 3/4 acre
Old 05-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

A couple of years ago I built a boom sprayer for my 4 wheeler mounted 15 gallon tank with pumpI already had. Just go to a farm supply store and get 5 or 6 fan spray nozzels and a few feet of rubber line. Take a short piece of angle iron or something similar, get your spacings laid out, drill holes for the nozzels and put it together. Should be able to build one for less than $20. It doesn't take long to spray an acre plot with the one I built.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a good idea. instead of fooling with all the stuff with weedkiller, could i just plow it then disk it and be ok?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

It definitely can be done without sprays and by plowing and disking. But, the plowing should be done weeks prior to planting, to give the sod or grass time to die and rot a little. Depending on what type of clover you are planting, time is getting short. You still have many options that don't require sprays or plowing for the short term, such as buckwheat. Clover can and will live many years if gets off to good start. Have you got a blend of clover or just one kind? Berseem clover could be planted a little latter but its a annual and won't live through the winter.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

im planting 2# of alice white clover, 2# of kopuII white clover, 2# jumbo ladino clover, and 8# of berseem clover. what would happen if i plowed disked and planted in the same day?

Quick Reply: plant clover just by disking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.