Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

new to food plotting

Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default new to food plotting

Lads and Ladetts...
I've been hunting since i was 12, but recently just got interested in the actual game management side of hunting-particularly deer and turkeys...(QDM)
I'm sure you guys are asked these questions all the time... but here goes anyways, and hopefully i'll get some answers.

QUESTION
"
So how should i go about planting Biologic New Zealand Premium Perenial."(1/4 acre)

As far as location, i can probably find a good spot, but when to plant, and how to mow it are my two biggest questions right now. Also how will the plot compare in attractiveness compared to say corn and beans, seeing as we have alot of that around here. I was thinking of planting it close to the bush behind a corn crop for cover, although it is perennial so it won't matter too much.
neways thanks for all the info in advance..
Gerard
Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new to food plotting

Spring is the recommended time up north in your area. As far as mowing..1/4 acre might not need much mowing if you have a good deer population. It wont take many with the size of some of the deer I've seen up your way

Most of the plants in that mix is low growing, I would only mow if it looked like weeds was going to be a problem,,Mid-summer or so. It is optional to broadcast desired Brssicas onto the established Premium Perenial in late summer/early fall for additional fall forage.

It also needs lots of fertilizer...300lbs of 13-13-13 or equivalent per acre.

1/4 acre will need around 2 to 3lbs of seed.

Hope that helps some...just my opinions
Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: new to food plotting

thanks...!

Gerard