Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

help firsttimer here

Old 03-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Spike

Default help firsttimer here

i wanna try this year to plans 2 .25 acre plots. there plots will be in the pa mountain woods. just looking for some plots that i can hang a stand over. the only tools for the job i have are a atv with drag, chainsaw and a rake. not sure what or when to plant. as long as its up and attracting deer by october first i'm happy. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: help firsttimer here

I would get a soil test this spring or summer. Over the summer, prepare the areas. Clean out any trees and shrubs. Spray the area with a roundup and 2,4-D mixture in the mid-summer to kill the weeds. In mid-August, spray again with just roundup. Plant winter rye about September 1. It can tolerate poor soil, and will stay green through the late fall and into the winter (spread regular lawn fertilizer for the rye, no crabgrass or other weed control products in the fertilizer though, 2 weeks prior to rye planting). Next spring, the rye can be killed with roundup, and clover planted (if the soil test says the pH will support clover). This will also help eliminate weed problems for next year.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Another possibility would be to plant a mix. Oats and field peas is one. The oats will probably get killed if it is a very cold winter, but if so you wont need to use no chemicals. From what I have been reading, some parts of PA, especially in the mountains has a low deer population. That could factor in not having to much pressure on something like oats and peas in plots that size. Just an idea. If you follow Soilmans recommendation you wont go wrong either.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Spike

i am wondering y plant the rye, is that deer attracter?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

The rye will stay green into the late fall after other plants are dormant. Green and tender will attract deer when everything else is brown. Rye tolerates poor soil, and will be at its prime after Oct 1. Haystack's oats and peas planted in the fall is another good idea. Maybe do a plot of each and see what works better with your situation. Both are cheap seeds, but you may need to buy the peas & oats seed in the spring.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

Look into the Whitetail Institute's No-Plow or Extreme. I have planted both in less than favorable conditions and they did well. They need 4 hours of sunlight at minimum and this can be intermittant light. You should have some Lime and fertilizer if planting in an area which requires a chainsaw to clear enough area for the plot.

For Fall planting it is suggested that here in Pa we should plant these two seeds from Aug. 1 to Sept. 15.