Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

clover

Old 03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: clover

You could plant both at the same time. If it were me, I would plant the shot plot in August, right before a good rain.
And plant the oats in Sept. I have planted oats here 1st of Oct with good luck. Planting those in late summer/fall is the way to go. You should get your moneys worth and provide forage for the deer most of the winter. Try not to wait to long before you plant your clover. IMHO.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

since you guys are on this topic, question.. I've spent the last couple weekends getting a small1/2 acre plot ready that is tucked back in a corner surrounded by cedars and overgrown hay. I brush-hogged most of the hay to allow fresh regrowth as far as edge cover (and I'm also using your guys' honeysuckle suggestion). I'm using Alfaclover (and Delt-Ag seed coat to give it a head start).. Ok so the question is, can I use my atv tires to pack down the seeds. Ive used a roller in the past but its a pain taking out to the farm sometimes, so can I just use the atv? Its a pretty light Polaris 250 Trailblazer, so I was thinking it won't push the seeds down too far.. What do you guys think???

Thanks,

Mossies..Good luck to both of you with your plots, its fun watching stuff grow
Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Bowman, An ATV will do an excellent job, might take a little longer, but better than a roller IMO. I have/will use a farm tractor to do the same thing in rocky ground. Never had any problems and the tractor weighs over 6000lbs.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

Bowman, An ATV will do an excellent job, might take a little longer, but better than a roller IMO. I have/will use a farm tractor to do the same thing in rocky ground. Never had any problems and the tractor weighs over 6000lbs.
Nice, good to hear!
Thanks very much..
Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Anytime Bowman.....Hey I like your signature
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ha, good song
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

x2 good song

is a roller that is filled with water better than atv?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I think it is for small or hard to get to food plots. A roller/cultipacker is better for large plots and fields of course. But I use a tractor or atv some times, with success. JM2C.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I packed my ground down but i didnt pack my seeds in, should I have packed them in?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Jake, If you got some rain, you will be OK. The main reason to pack your soil is to ensure seed to soil contact. You will get more uniform sprouting/germination, and the quicker the clover starts growing the less likely weeds will over take your plot. Plus I have rocky ground and packing, pushes them back down, so I dont make little rocks out of big rocks when I cut/mow. (LOL) Jake I would not worry about it.

Quick Reply: clover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.