Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer adopted me!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer adopted me!

That is unbelievable. Love the new pictures, very cool
Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Mama?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:24 PM

I've been evicted!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:46 PM

I have hunted for close to 30 years and harvestedsomewhere around 60 deer. In all this time I have not learned as much about deer behavior as I have spending hours and hours with this guy.There is one thing he does that puzzles me if someone knows the answer? He sometimes will headbutt me in the groin or legs and rub his head on my pant legs until I scratch him. Is this a way of him trying to show dominance, markingme with his scentglands or just his way of getting my attention?Any help?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Weird deer!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

I think you are starting to become attached to this deer. This situation could effect you and the deer in many ways. Some good some bad.I know someone that this happened to and it changed his perception on things and he kept it as a pet. It is very possible that this deer is missing the fear from humans. Its probably some kind of chemical imbalance. He also suffers from separation anxiety from being detached from his mother. Is thisplace somewhere you go every weekend, is it your house? Do you find yourself going there to see if the deer is there? I would put acollar on him to try and detersomeone from shooting him. I once had a fawn follow mw after I shot the mom as i didn't see the fawntrailing behind her. That thing bawled and bawled while I wheeled her off in my cart. I did not like that at all.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

I think you are starting to become attached to this deer. This situation could effect you and the deer in many ways. Some good some bad.I know someone that this happened to and it changed his perception on things and he kept it as a pet. It is very possible that this deer is missing the fear from humans. Its probably some kind of chemical imbalance. He also suffers from separation anxiety from being detached from his mother. Is thisplace somewhere you go every weekend, is it your house? Do you find yourself going there to see if the deer is there? I would put acollar on him to try and detersomeone from shooting him. I once had a fawn follow mw after I shot the mom as i didn't see the fawntrailing behind her. That thing bawled and bawled while I wheeled her off in my cart. I did not like that at all.
No intention of keeping as a pet. In my state it is illegal to detain or collar. He is free roaming and will remain that way. It is apparent itis not afraid of humans, not sure why.He could have some imbalance because as a last springfawn I would think he would have some antler growth by now. Since I am there all the time, over time I believe he has been watching us and smelling us and seen no reason to fear us. Yes it is my weekend/hunting cabin property at the Lake and wego there every weekend.Do not drive there just to check on him, 1 hour drive. The property is fenced andsecluded so he feels safe. More then likely a neighbor shot the mom cause I did not shoot a doe last season.I have a neighbor that is unemployed andhas decimated the deer population to feed his family. There is allot of poaching in the area too.I think there are no deer left in the area and he is lonely and seeks interaction. Has been pretty cool but I believe he will latch onto a group of deer or as the summer gets bad he will move around to feed. When the rut gets closer he will find his way elsewhere. Have talked to most of the neighbors and they claim they will not shoot but someone will drop him. He would make a hell of a good decoy come bow season though!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

I have hunted for close to 30 years and harvestedsomewhere around 60 deer. In all this time I have not learned as much about deer behavior as I have spending hours and hours with this guy.There is one thing he does that puzzles me if someone knows the answer? He sometimes will headbutt me in the groin or legs and rub his head on my pant legs until I scratch him. Is this a way of him trying to show dominance, markingme with his scentglands or just his way of getting my attention?Any help?

IMO he just wants scratched,i had a lab that did that all the time.If you were sitting down he would stick his head in between your arm and body and lift your arm up.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

IMO he just wants scratched,i had a lab that did that all the time.If you were sitting down he would stick his head in between your arm and body and lift your arm up.

I have a dog that does this all the time. He will stick his head in the crotch of my arm even if there is a tiny hole, he will shove his head in there. I asked around and I actually had a vetrenarian(sp?) student tell me that often animals who either lost their mother at an early age will stick their head in small places because they see it as protection. Their mother used to let them feed, and they would snuggle under her arms and belly. And as for the dogs, the student told me that if the dog was taken away from the mother too early they have a good chance of doing this. I don't know if she was right, but I found it interesting. Our dog that still does it is now 11 years old. You lift your elbow at all, and he'll stick his head in there and raise it up
Old 04-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great pics Timber......To help keep this deer safe during hunting season get a can of fast drying fluorescent orange spray paint.......spray a line across each side of his body.....he might not like it but it won`t hurt him......It will / should keep him safe and it will come off next year when he sheds his winter coat for his summer coat.......and tell your neighbors the "pet deer" is marked ........and not to shoot the marked deer....hope this helps...Mike