Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Corn!?!?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Corn!?!?

i am planning on planting corn around my plot this spring so i was wondereing if i would be able to use a seed broadcaster instead of plantinf it into rows cause i dont have a row planter and i dont wanna walk around all spring planting corn. any info or suggestions would be greatly apreciated
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn!?!?

Corn typically needs to be a little deeper than what you'll find you need with regular food plot seed. It will be hard to just freely broadcast it and expect it to grow. You could try to broadcast it and then lightly disk it into the ground. Or, in freshly disked soil broadcast and then roll a cultipacker over it to give it some depth in the soil
Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

People do it with mixed results. Generally you hear to broadcast corn 2x as thick as if planted. so that works out to 1 bag (80000 kernals) per 1.5 acres if broadcast.

Personally - I don't like to broadcast corn, it never did as well on ours even compared to the worst row planting we ever did. If you have a lot of turkeys and Geese - shallow and exposed corn seed is GONE in days.

Its an expensive way to go. You can pick up an old cornplanter at auction or at used farm equipment places for $400 - 800 -so after a couple years of wasting seed and fertilizer - you could pay for an old planted that will be better all the way around.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

You'd be wasting your time and corn by broadcasting it. It needs to be covered otherwise your just feeding hungry animals.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok thanks guys we dont have many geese or turkeys but ill have to find another way
Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive had corn grow on accident (fell off bird feeder in the spring) so yea its possible. but it wont grow as well. Try to get it covered with soil. Without the equipment its impossible to make large plots. I did a small one this past year of sweet corn for the deer and my family to eat, and with the equipment I had it was tedious work (rototiller and hand planted rows). If a couple seedlings sprout in a bunched up group pull the slower growing ones out so they dont steal nutrients from faster growing seedlings.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Deer will prefer corn in rows, as it offers running lanes for them. It is also easier to hunt deer in corn rows (if that is allowed in your area).
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Whats wrong with planting by hand Heck I do several acres and I am an ol cripple, First plow and disk, Then have a bag over your shoulder and take seed in both hands and just walk and drop in rows as wide as your shoulders)works real well Take an ATV and pull a drag behind to bury it . Use round-up ready corn (get it from pheasants forever for a few bucks a bag).
RC
Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Our family does not allow genticallymodified seed. There is a lot we do not know regarding the long term effects of usingthis seed. You may never be able to grow certified organic produce on land that has grown a genetically modifiedcrop (a soil test can determine if you have planted this type of seed).
Old 02-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.aaoobfoods.com/gardeningsupplies.htm

There are several types of hand held planters that can be purchused for 40-50 dollars.

Quick Reply: Corn!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.