Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

PLEASE HELP

Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Default PLEASE HELP

I need to know if a sack of 50 pound deer corn will grow and if so should I plant a couple acres. Or do you know where I could buy some good corn seed for growing.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PLEASE HELP

Ive never actually planted feed corn... but Ive had it grow on accident.. Go to a local feed/seed store and get some of the actual seed kernels.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

A sack of field corn will grow, but there is not much yeild to it. Its better to plant seed corn.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread is confusing to me. In another thread, 243heartshot claims to be hunting a place with 400 100 acre corn fields. That being the case, you should already have a source for seed corn and be well versed on planting it. What is the real story here?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 PM

It is called multiple properties and multiple states, this year I was wanting to see if i could save some money by buying really cheap corn.
Long Story short, I ended up having to buy my usual human grade corn roundup ready and tons of fertilizer. And I have multiple properties, so i can't just bring stuff cross country. I have one in north Cali, east Tennessee, northern TN, Florida. The one with the corn plots already on it is where I live. I was trying to get cheap stuff for my other properties.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM

And where my other properties are there isn't much of a business for corn. The Sack corn was for the deer.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: .243Heartshot

It is called multiple properties and multiple states, this year I was wanting to see if i could save some money by buying really cheap corn.
Long Story short, I ended up having to buy my usual human grade corn roundup ready and tons of fertilizer. And I have multiple properties, so i can't just bring stuff cross country. I have one in north Cali, east Tennessee, northern TN, Florida. The one with the corn plots already on it is where I live. I was trying to get cheap stuff for my other properties.
I would get ALL the info before planting genetically modified seed. We don't allow gm seed on our land. Most corn seed is a hybrid, which means you will need to by new seed every year to get a decent yield.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

Just my humble oppinion I am against corn for QDM. Corn leaches all the nutrients out of the soil more than comparable crops. Since it is so large of a plant and has very limited winter use, just the kernals. So there is not very much yeild for late season compared to the amount of nutrients extracted from the soil. Further the corn lacks any real benefit in nutrients to the deer. It is only 9% protein and very starchy so converted straight to fat. Deer love it because the fat will get them through the winter and it tastes better than acorns. If you intend to plant corn by all means stay away from the G A as presribed above. You can find traditional dent corn reasonable. Hickory King is one that comes to mind.
You would be much better suited with cow peas or arrow leaf clover in an annual. They will produce their own nitrogen and not leach the soil clean. If you are trying to stay cheap a pound of collards, rape or turnips will go a long way as well. All will not take much from the soil, so a limited amount of fertilizer is required each succesive year compared to corn. If you must plant corn at least grow a legume with it to supply a bit of nitrogen to the corn so it doesn't ruin your ground. A much better method would be to plant a perrenial legume deer plot mix. Considdering you can get 5 years or more out of most it is cheaper in the long run since you use much less fertilizer. There are also annual braisica mixes that are very reasonable. Both are better for the heard than just the fat building corn. If you can offer a high protein food source the deer heard will be less succeptable to illness and more productive.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bugflipper

Just my humble oppinion I am against corn for QDM. Corn leaches all the nutrients out of the soil more than comparable crops. Since it is so large of a plant and has very limited winter use, just the kernals. So there is not very much yeild for late season compared to the amount of nutrients extracted from the soil. Further the corn lacks any real benefit in nutrients to the deer. It is only 9% protein and very starchy so converted straight to fat. Deer love it because the fat will get them through the winter and it tastes better than acorns. If you intend to plant corn by all means stay away from the G A as presribed above. You can find traditional dent corn reasonable. Hickory King is one that comes to mind.
You would be much better suited with cow peas or arrow leaf clover in an annual. They will produce their own nitrogen and not leach the soil clean. If you are trying to stay cheap a pound of collards, rape or turnips will go a long way as well. All will not take much from the soil, so a limited amount of fertilizer is required each succesive year compared to corn. If you must plant corn at least grow a legume with it to supply a bit of nitrogen to the corn so it doesn't ruin your ground. A much better method would be to plant a perrenial legume deer plot mix. Considdering you can get 5 years or more out of most it is cheaper in the long run since you use much less fertilizer. There are also annual braisica mixes that are very reasonable. Both are better for the heard than just the fat building corn. If you can offer a high protein food source the deer heard will be less succeptable to illness and more productive.
Good post bugflipper. Corn actually has 6% crude protein and if deer are feeding on it entirely can cause rumen burnout. This will screw up the bacteria in the gut and cause problems when they start eating browse again. Brassicas and clovers are a much better long term food source both for the soil and the deer. We never plant corn. I'm not saying they wont eat it, I'm saying its ice cream for them. The long term goal should be to do what's best for the deer and the environment. Sure plant a dozen rows, or an acre if you have the space, but don't make it your sole crop. Deer need a minimum of 16% crude protein in their diet. You need to plant more than one crop if you are using corn. The Antlers are in the soil.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Northwest Ohio...Corn is what we do here...all the deer are corn fed, I've been putting out feed corn for the past month and a half and the deer have been devouring it...I'm not sure what the protein % is but I want to say its higher than 6%....that being said...I'm looking at a planting some clover in a small food plot, in fact I'm looking at planting numerous smaller plots instead of one big one...I need advice on what to plant lets say not in deep woods but also not in the open, partial sunlight if you will...got any advice??? PM me or post here I'll try and check back...I'm sure I will, can't escape this site for too long

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.