Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

lets see your plots!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default lets see your plots!

Lets see those plots! Post of pics of any plots you have made!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lets see your plots!

Here's a little one we did. This is year #3

FH
Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

wow farm hunter! thats a great looking food plot! what type is it? what did you do before you planted (lime, fertilize, till etc) and what do you do to maintain it now?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

That little plot is a farm roadway that I expanded in 2006. The first year I disked it and planted a clover brassica mix - but had lots of weeds - so I just kept it mowed back - then in 2007I got a little more serious with it - and made it a clover mix plot (white clovers):

Mow and 2 weeks later spray it with a Hand Sprayer with a 1 quart/acre of 41% Glyphosate (roundup - or a generic version like Big N Tuff from Tractor Supply).

Let it die back (takes 2-3 weeks) - then over seed your clover product. It would be nice if you could expose the soil a little more by dragging something aground 1st - then fertilize & overseed. Finally drive over and over it to press the seed into the soil as best possible. Most little seeds like Brassicas, Chickory, clover -etc Should not be covered with soil and will do best if pressed in - and planted JUST BEFORE a Decent Rain.

In Most areas - a Bag or two of LIME can only help.

Looks Like this when you are ready to plant it (July 2007):

2 months later - (September 2007)

November 2007

in May 2008 - it was growing back strong with a fair amount of weeds.

I only mowed it one time in 2008 - in late June I think it was -
It didn't need as frequent mowing as my bigger plots - I think because the deer keep it browsed back pretty well. Mowing the one time helped to control annual weeds.

Here it is in Sept 2008.

It came back strong - and makes a nice "kill plot" or "sanctuary plot" like we use it this year.

It also makes a nice plot for a trail cam because you can put the camera on narrow sections -
We've take quite a few pictures on this plot -

FH

Old 12-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome plot!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Nice! In that first picture of your second post (just before planting) did you just throw the seeds down on the leftover grass? Is that leftover grass a big deal, or can u just throw the seed over it? Im thinking about doing powerplant next spring and then next to it winter greens in the fall. Any reccomendations?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The left over grass is OK as long as its really dead. I use a set of disks to rough up the soil - and a cultipacker to press the seen into a firm bed. You really want a firm seed bed -(not fluffy soil) for clovers. The chaff can work to help keep moisture in - just make sure you seed heavy enough because some wont get down to the soil where it needs to be for good germination.

My son Helping Culipack.

The little plots are fun - the bigger plots can be a lot of work - but the rewards are maginfied.
Its better to start small, until you have some good success - and then get bigger, and bigger.

Here's a couple pictures of one of the larger clover plots I maintain from this and last year.

FH

Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

wow! once again, you have some really good looking plots! where abouts is that in ny? the ones i will be planting are in schuyler ny, its inbetween herkimer and utica. unfortunetly i dont have lots of gear.. im hoping to get a cheap tow behind disk for the quad to till up the land... its not the most level or even field so will see how im gonna deal with that.... there are lots of little ditches and water bar type things.... any advice?
thanks
Mike
Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Powerplant is a heavy Nitrogen user. My recollection from the mix is that it is Milo/Sourghum, Sunflower, some type of climbing bean and probably some clover/brassica as well. Its advertised to grow up to 6 ft tall, and can with LOTS of nitrogen, and the right Ph. I've not used it, because I like straight plots of beans, or corn, or clover, -etc instead of a mix. But all these plots on the market have their place, and for some poweplant if probably a good choice.

I have used Winter greens before - and liked how it grew and it had Winter attraction. For me - it was used most after hunting season - in January & February. But........... it was ate to the ground. Winter greens is mostly Kale & Canola (no turnips) - it likes a lot of Nitrogen too.

Sept 2007 (planted in July)

April 2008 (what is left after snow melt)

FH

Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

damn.... thats another awesome looking food plot! so what would you reccomend for me to plant, I want it for spring attraction but also for hunting over it in the ny seasons... i will not be able to maintain too much since i dont have lots of equipment so....idk

Quick Reply: lets see your plots!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.