Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 I' m planting this coming weekend... >

I' m planting this coming weekend...

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I' m planting this coming weekend...

Old 03-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I' m planting this coming weekend...

This weekend on our farm in WV, I' m planting a bunch of No-Plow, and about 25 pounds of clover. I limed last fall, so I hope I' ve got the Ph up to where it needs to be. It was a touch low, and I put a bunch on the areas I planned to plant.

I am making 3 small plots. I backed into the seeds, so I am planting it plenty heavy. I like to err on the heavy side.

I have an " unusual" way of preparing the ground. I have a log with about 100 steel spikes coming out of it. I just drag it behind my 4-wheeler repeatedly over the ground I am planting. After a while, the ground is ready to plant. Then I re-drag it after planting. It has worked well for me in the past.

I believe I' ll only plant half of the no-plow now and then re-seed it in the fall. Does this sound like a plan?
Old 03-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I' m planting this coming weekend...

Proline; good luck. Don' t the spikes clog up with grass and weeds as you pull?

Dan O.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan...They do clog up pretty bad. That' s why I like to do it this time of year. The ground is softer and tears up easier. I have one little patch I plant that I mow off as low as I can. That leaves it pretty barren to begin with.

I just stop every now and then and beat the mud off the spikes.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:11 PM

I haven' t heard of anyone doing it that way. Sounds like a good idea to me especially if you are in the woods and don' t have or can' t get disks and drag in there. I would think it might be better if you rolled or cultipacked after you put down the seed. to get good soil contact. terry
Old 03-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

After seeding I use my atv as a cultipacker. It' s worked great so far. Just haven' t had the money for the cutipacker yet plus it' s one less tool I have to haul in. One thing about clover, it doesn' t need to be sewn very deep. Normally 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep works best.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

The No-Plow will not do well with the seed being dragged into the soil. Pack the soi down and broadcast the seed and let it lay. We suggest that you seed after a rain, like right after, while the soil id damp. This should allow the seed to stick to the soil and germinate very rapidly, like 24-72 hrs.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:59 AM

You may need to watch out for grass taking over your plots. Your method of breaking up the ground did little to kill any of the grass plants and you may have problems if grass was prevalent at the onset. If you sprayed last fall to kill the vegetation, you' ll should be ok. Good luck.