Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

feeders

Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default RE: feeders

we dont really have a problem with CWD up here yet. and iam in the woods pretty far i hunt over a food plot and farm land is there main source of food along with various grasses and trees
Old 09-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: baker farms

I do not use feeders nor is it ethical or safe. CWD is on the spread and the ONLY way it is spread is by muzzle contact and saliva. I am a guide, my living depends on the harvest an my good work. If i can get a jump on things i will however this is pure poison to deer and a 6 lane highway for the spread of CWD don't belive me ck it out. There is very little difference between a game fence and a dinner bell that scatters feed
[align=left][/align]
Baker, I did a little research on CWD and it is not a good thing but to say that running a feeder is pure poison is a little far fetched, there is no difference in that and the deer feeding on grass together. (I am not debating the "baiting" issue that you have, to each his own on that one)Look at it this way, Texas is a state that allowsfeeding all year long, and I could notfindwherethe state of Texas has had an issue with CWD, now seems to me that if feeding deer out of a feeder was thepoison then Texas would be the state with the major CWD outbreaks. Ifeed a supplement feedall year long on our ranch and don't see it aspoison, I see it as improving our herd,considering that there is not much for the deer in that region and I never will. Iam not saying that CWD is not a bad thing, Iam simplysaying that a feeder is not thepoison CWD is the poison, otherwise the state of Texas would be over run with CWD. I would hate for these guys tobe misled into thinking that feeding deer is killing them.I wish you well this year and hope business is good for you!

For the sake of argument this is where I found the information that I got.
http://www.cwd-info.org/index.phpOn the bottom right hand coner of the home page is a brochure that you can look at that gives a lot of information about the disease, for anyone that would like to check it out.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:01 PM

Well, i can't use my feeder anymore here in MI. But, I would dump corn in there
Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Tom (Baker Farms),

Your post suggests you are inexperienced as it relates to feeders. If you've huntedNew York your entire life, that would explain your bais toward non-baiting (feeders) as they are illegal there. It's always disappointing to see folks post such a strong opinion when their experiences are limited to half the discussion.

I lived in New Hampshire through my early 20's where baiting is illegal. I too thought feeders were non-sportsman like and made it too easy to summon deer to a specific location ("dinner bell that scatters food"). It's doesn't work like that. I've lived in a baiting legal state for 10 years and I can assure you, the deer do not show-up like clock work. I have more success intercepting a buck on a natural travel route than I do at a feeder. Also, the feeders on our property spread corn in a 15' diameter so deer are not nose to nose.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not use feeders to much trouble.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 PM

i run corn in the feeders and a mix of fallen apples from the neighborhood trees, oats, corn, and wheat in the troughs
Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corn in the winter and pellets in the spring and summer
Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
tf
Spike

I hunt in East Texas (Van Zandt Co.). I mix corn and Golden Deer Nuggets. Thye always like corn and the nuggets are 15-16% protein. It is all about the same price. The deer really like the nuggets (it has a berry smell). So it give protein with vitamins and minerals, along with the starch for energy in the corn. Works great for me.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AR Bowhunter

I do not use feeders to much trouble.
Huh? [&:]

Feeders are easy as it gets. I have 3 moultrie feeders (with 30 gallon drums) and they work perfect. I only fill them up 3 or 4 times a year.

Anyways, I fill them with 1/4 protein pellets (they have vitamins in them too) and the rest corn. They love this combo.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use corn and sweetfeed mix. It works great.