Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Throw n' grow plot

Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Throw n' grow plot

okthis is the first field ive planted.i dont have access to any equipment other than rake, ho,saw, and a chain link fencedrag.So i thought i would plant a20yard x 20yard plot of throw n' grow. this area i have in mind is in rows of pines; would that be a prob with it not gettin enough sunlight?can some one that actually knows what there doing give a a step by step process on how to do it. thanks!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Throw n' grow plot

Not that I will ever know what I am doing either but, small woodland plots have been something I have started to work on as well. We have a good batch of larger plots but I want to give them some smaller areas that they will feel comfortable feeding on during shooting hours. I will go through what I have done to prep my area.

The spot I chose to plant in is on the edge of a cedar thicket that is bordered by hardwoods. My dad and I went in and cut down three cedars to open things up to some sunlight. We then pushed the trees to the sides to give the plot some added protection and to make some ground blinds with. After this we took a leaf rake and got all of the loose debris aside. Then we took a stiff metal rake and broke the soil up just enough to cover the seed a little. We then spread a bag of lime and some fertilizer and then seeded with Secret Spot. The spot gets around 4-5 hours of sulight a day so things should grow pretty well.

In your case you want to cut down as many trees as you can to get sunlight to reach your plants. Even after cutting three down I am still not comletely happy with mine. Trow n' grow type food plots don't need a lot of sunlight but the more the better. The way I look at is that we aren't raising championship plants here. We are trying to give the deer something to eat. Doing things by hand takes some sweat and blood but it is rewarding.

Good luck to you asyou work on your food plots.