Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

cut the clover plot today

Old 07-12-2008, 03:24 PM

Default cut the clover plot today

Well I went down today and cut the clover plot. My creek bottom plot is planted in 1/2 clover 1/2 millet. To my surprise, I must have had some millet seed in my broadcaster when I broadcasted the clover because I had millet popping up in the clover section here and there. The weeds were starting to grow big time, so I cut it down to about 5". The clover was reaching 8-9". Hopefully this cut willlimit some of the weeds. Should I cut again beforefall or will this be enough?
Old 07-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cut the clover plot today

Got any pictures? I have mowed mine twice and almost have the weeds in check. Heres mine as of yesterday. I need to cut one or two more times in the next few months to assure the weeds will not take over. My whitetail institute imperial clover/chickory is slow going.

I need a ton of rain! Its been dry here for a few weeks.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 PM

I don't know if this is a bad thing or good thing, but my plot is a lot denser (thicker) than yours. The clover is well established, but the weeds exploded out of the ground after we had 3 straight days of rain. I also had turnips growing in my plot and I didn't even plant any??????

I was down on the farm about 3 weeks ago and the clover was only maybe 3-4" high max with very few broadleaf weeds. Today the clover was as high as 7-9" in spots and the weeds were coming up good as well. It could probably deserve another cut in about a month to cut down on the weed growth, especially if it keeps growing at that rate. I'm trying to avoid using chemicals because they are so darn expensive. I heard mowing is a great way to control weeds, so we'll see.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

Its definately a good thing that your clover is more dense than mine. This is a sign of no rain! I also had just cut mine down pretty low to hack the weeds, so I will keep you posted on how it looks after we get some rain.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

After two mowings mine is fantastic.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

bawanajim

Looks like a great plot - Year #2?

Some oats mixed in?

FH
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

bawanajim

Looks like a great plot - Year #2?

Some oats mixed in?

FH
Just some oat seed that got mixed in the mess, I didn't figure it would hurt.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

i ve cut my clover field twice now .
I,ll mow it again later this month or early neaxt month for the last time this year .[&:]
Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

OK, I too cleared about a half acre and got my ph as it stated on the bag, and spread seed(imperial clover) , culti-packed it ,within two weeks it began to take off wonderfully, I have left the area alone with little maintenance. and last weekend I saw it and was still nice and thick ,but covered in weeds,, and (3-4'') tall on average,, was thinking of spraying it with arrest,, but you guys are just mowing it? yours look amazing!! HELP...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

mcorso -

It really depends on what the weeds are -

Mowing can take care of weeds like Mustard, ragweed, curlytop, foxtail, lambsquarters, plus others - etc - they are basically annual weeds - that if not allowed to go to seed - do not come back the next year. The second year (some places, later in the 1st year)- Clover gets the upperhand - and dominate and will outcompete annual weeds for years to come.

Grasses are the enemy - they like mowing too (look at your lawn).

FH

Quick Reply: cut the clover plot today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.