Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Why are they all in the same place?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Why are they all in the same place?

For several years now, there is alittle spot in a field behind my house that attracts every buck in the county from the 1st of June to the end of July. 2 hours before dark they start filtering in from all directions. Last night there were 26 bucks in a spot the size of a football field. All at the same time. Big Bucks, little Bucks, medium size Bucks. But no does.

Now this little spot is in the middle of a soybean field that is surrounded by corn and soybeans for a mile in any direction. I've walked through it dozens of times looking for a weed or anything that is different than any other fields around it. Nothing. I've about decided that it must be a particular mineral that the plants are picking up from the soil that appeals to Bucks while they are growing antlers. They're not there in May and they're gone by the middle of August.

We run tests on the soil to determine fertilizer rates (P, K, N), but not micro nutrients.

Anybody else see this kind of activity, and if you have could you determine what caused it. Yes, I know about bachelor groups and social order, but this is different. It's more like several different bachelor groups that browse in this area every evening, and then return to their home range.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 PM

Default RE: Why are they all in the same place?

In our area deer migrate to the same areas year after year, usually for a prefered food source but could be water, shelter or learned behavior. There are many things about deerI will never understand.