HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Buck Forage Oats (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/251839-buck-forage-oats.html)

dtk913 07-07-2008 09:18 AM

Buck Forage Oats

Does anybody have a good place to buy them. I have seen them as high as $38.00 for a 50lb bag, plus shipping. I tought I could get them a little cheaper than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

timbercruiser 07-07-2008 01:34 PM

RE: Buck Forage Oats

Most of the feed stores around here have them, or will order you some. Call around and see what they will tell you. Last year I think I paid $21 a bag. They use to have a website and they might have a list of vendors there.

trkyslyr 07-09-2008 05:14 PM

I did a test last year and planted half "buck forage oats" @ about 35.00/ bag, and planted half in regular seed oats at half the cost and the deer hit all plots equally. The seed oats actually seemed to germinate a little better. The key is to plant the plot so that it reaches it's highest nutritional value during archery season and on into your first frost. I am planting all regular seed oats this year and don't expect the results to be any different.

dtk913 07-14-2008 11:30 AM

Where are you located at, and how did they hold up to fall and winter weather conditions?

Dan

TRACKER 07-14-2008 08:56 PM

My wife bought me a couple bags for xmas .
I believe they were $29.95 a bag at Gander Mountain .
I planted some last year .
After a little snow and colder wether the deer loved it .
PS They also hammered the turnips I planted in with my clover fields .

Robv2007 07-17-2008 07:07 PM

i also bought mine at gander mountain for about $30-40 a bag

Rockin G Ranch 07-19-2008 08:52 PM

TSC has Plot Spike Forage oats for $18.95 for 50# bag.

MakeUr1stShotCount 07-20-2008 06:37 PM

down here i can usually get them from the local Farmers Supply - and if it's not in stock, they'll gladly place the order. i bet your local seed stores will do the same.

like another poster mentioned - they are kinda pricey when you've got quite a bit of ground to cover - and compared to other oats, the plots were hit equally (we use observation cages on each of them to gauge that and other things)

redinator 07-20-2008 08:01 PM

i just bought some plot spike oats from tsc. i wanted to buy b.f.o. but thought that was a good price.how cold tolerant are they?

TRACKER 07-21-2008 08:21 PM

Went to Gander Mountain today and noticed they are still selling forage oats but a name brand . ( cant remember name thow ) but they were selling for $29.99 for 50 lb . bags...