HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Buck Forage Oats (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/251839-buck-forage-oats.html)

dtk913 07-07-2008 09:18 AM

Buck Forage Oats

Does anybody have a good place to buy them. I have seen them as high as $38.00 for a 50lb bag, plus shipping. I tought I could get them a little cheaper than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

timbercruiser 07-07-2008 01:34 PM

RE: Buck Forage Oats

Most of the feed stores around here have them, or will order you some. Call around and see what they will tell you. Last year I think I paid $21 a bag. They use to have a website and they might have a list of vendors there.

trkyslyr 07-09-2008 05:14 PM

I did a test last year and planted half "buck forage oats" @ about 35.00/ bag, and planted half in regular seed oats at half the cost and the deer hit all plots equally. The seed oats actually seemed to germinate a little better. The key is to plant the plot so that it reaches it's highest nutritional value during archery season and on into your first frost. I am planting all regular seed oats this year and don't expect the results to be any different.

dtk913 07-14-2008 11:30 AM

Where are you located at, and how did they hold up to fall and winter weather conditions?

Dan

TRACKER 07-14-2008 08:56 PM

My wife bought me a couple bags for xmas .
I believe they were $29.95 a bag at Gander Mountain .
I planted some last year .
After a little snow and colder wether the deer loved it .
PS They also hammered the turnips I planted in with my clover fields .

Robv2007 07-17-2008 07:07 PM

i also bought mine at gander mountain for about $30-40 a bag

Rockin G Ranch 07-19-2008 08:52 PM

TSC has Plot Spike Forage oats for $18.95 for 50# bag.

MakeUr1stShotCount 07-20-2008 06:37 PM

down here i can usually get them from the local Farmers Supply - and if it's not in stock, they'll gladly place the order. i bet your local seed stores will do the same.

like another poster mentioned - they are kinda pricey when you've got quite a bit of ground to cover - and compared to other oats, the plots were hit equally (we use observation cages on each of them to gauge that and other things)

redinator 07-20-2008 08:01 PM

i just bought some plot spike oats from tsc. i wanted to buy b.f.o. but thought that was a good price.how cold tolerant are they?

TRACKER 07-21-2008 08:21 PM

Went to Gander Mountain today and noticed they are still selling forage oats but a name brand . ( cant remember name thow ) but they were selling for $29.99 for 50 lb . bags...

Rockin G Ranch 07-22-2008 05:34 AM

The oats I saw at Gander Mountain for $29.99 were Tecomate. I decided to try the Plot Spike oats at TSC for $18.95.

gregrn43 08-13-2008 11:55 PM

if im not mistaken they come out of stutgard arkansas, i live in north arkansas and they are sold at several stores around here locally, they are extremely hardy oat. i use to plant feed oats or bob oats and when the temp turned cold they would get a yellow cast to them. ive never had that happen with buck forage oats. deer seem to love them to as well as the turkeys.

ostdc 08-14-2008 08:03 AM

Seems to me that BFOs are still oats and therefore not tolerant of cold. As far as I know(which isn't much), frost kills oats. That is why we plant winter wheat or winter rye in our fall annual plots. Stays green through the frost and cold, unlike oats.
Brian

falcon 08-16-2008 07:44 PM

i've planted Spike Plot Oats and Buck Forage oats in the past. Last yeari conducted an experiment at one of our places. Planted half of a big plot withBFO and the other half in Race Horse Oats.Surprise, the Race Horse Oats germinated better and tolerated the cold better than the BFO brand.Another plot was planted withSpike Plot Oats and Race Horse Oats. Again, the cheaper seed germinated better and survived the cold better.

No more of the expensive oat seed for me.

daleh 08-20-2008 07:50 PM

All Oats are a winter crop just like Wheat and Rye. They are planted in the late fall and harvested early summer anywere a 2 crop system can be used.
Example here we rotate our beans and corn. Corn is planted in late March to earley April. It is cut as soon as the moister content gets down to around 12% normally late August or early September.In late October we plant Wheat, Rye (if there is a program for it) and oats. Harvest them in early June the plant beans in the stuble. Soy beans are harvested when the moister content gets down to 10% Normally for our beans schedule 7,8,9 It is sometime in mid to late November