HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Food Plots or Crops? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/247695-food-plots-crops.html)

Dubbya 05-29-2008 09:21 PM

Food Plots or Crops?

Alright let's speculate...;)

Let's say that you have a 15 acre field and you plan on planting 3-4 acres of it that will make it condusive to bowhunting. Would you rather plant a crop such as wheat or alfalfa... or would you put in a mixture such biologic or something similar and why?

In the next few weeks we'll be planting... somethingand I can't decide what, so I need your help.

Thanks!!

jackflap 05-29-2008 09:28 PM

RE: Food Plots or Crops?

For me it is a no brainer.

It isalfalfa and wheat in our area which is similar to yours. Between the two you have something for them year round and you can plant these agricultural crops a heck of a lot cheaper than Biologic and all the other retail "over hyped"seed mixtures. JMO

OKbowhunter20 05-29-2008 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jackflap

For me it is a no brainer.

It isalfalfa and wheat in our area which is similar to yours. Between the two you have something for them year round and you can plant these agricultural crops a heck of a lot cheaper than Biologic and all the other retail "over hyped"seed mixtures. JMO
I agree with him....unless there is wheat of alfalfa in the immediate area and more of it this spot wouldn't necessarily bring the deer to it, as a main source. Then I would probably use a mixture. JMO

TEmbry 05-29-2008 09:33 PM

alfalfa is where it's at. I love clover too.

A mixture is God's gift to deer hunters.;)

MN/Kyle 05-29-2008 09:36 PM

We have a secluded field that is in the shape of a L.

The long vertical part of the L, the "|", is planted in alfalfa. The _ of the L is planted from left to right:

15 strips of corn, Antler Kings "Red Zone", Beans. There are stand sets on every "feeding station". They Corn acts as a buffer, they love the red zone and beans as well at different times of year.

I suggest you plant different types of crops/plots for hunting during the different times of the year. Just a thought.

joshw020 05-29-2008 09:39 PM

I'm attatched to bean fields up here. . . and so are the deer :D

Centaur 1 05-29-2008 09:57 PM

I got a chance to meet and talk to Larry Weishun last year. He was saying that it could take several years for deer to get used to a crop that they've never eaten before. Stick with what works in your area but if you add in something like beets you might create some good late season hunting when the deer figure out how to dig them up. Don't forget to fertilize your Oak trees also.

jmbuckhunter 05-30-2008 05:09 AM

I would plant it in soybeans in the spring. Then when the beans ripen spread some turnip seed or biologic in the standing beans in late August early September.

That way you would have a hot food source for the whole year.

Deleted User 05-30-2008 05:25 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Siman08/OH 05-30-2008 06:15 AM

I would go with beans or clover, its a proven food souce