Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots or Crops?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Food Plots or Crops?

Alright let's speculate...

Let's say that you have a 15 acre field and you plan on planting 3-4 acres of it that will make it condusive to bowhunting. Would you rather plant a crop such as wheat or alfalfa... or would you put in a mixture such biologic or something similar and why?

In the next few weeks we'll be planting... somethingand I can't decide what, so I need your help.

Thanks!!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Food Plots or Crops?

For me it is a no brainer.

It isalfalfa and wheat in our area which is similar to yours. Between the two you have something for them year round and you can plant these agricultural crops a heck of a lot cheaper than Biologic and all the other retail "over hyped"seed mixtures. JMO
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jackflap

For me it is a no brainer.

It isalfalfa and wheat in our area which is similar to yours. Between the two you have something for them year round and you can plant these agricultural crops a heck of a lot cheaper than Biologic and all the other retail "over hyped"seed mixtures. JMO
I agree with him....unless there is wheat of alfalfa in the immediate area and more of it this spot wouldn't necessarily bring the deer to it, as a main source. Then I would probably use a mixture. JMO
Old 05-29-2008, 09:33 PM

alfalfa is where it's at. I love clover too.

A mixture is God's gift to deer hunters.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a secluded field that is in the shape of a L.

The long vertical part of the L, the "|", is planted in alfalfa. The _ of the L is planted from left to right:

15 strips of corn, Antler Kings "Red Zone", Beans. There are stand sets on every "feeding station". They Corn acts as a buffer, they love the red zone and beans as well at different times of year.

I suggest you plant different types of crops/plots for hunting during the different times of the year. Just a thought.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm attatched to bean fields up here. . . and so are the deer
Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a chance to meet and talk to Larry Weishun last year. He was saying that it could take several years for deer to get used to a crop that they've never eaten before. Stick with what works in your area but if you add in something like beets you might create some good late season hunting when the deer figure out how to dig them up. Don't forget to fertilize your Oak trees also.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would plant it in soybeans in the spring. Then when the beans ripen spread some turnip seed or biologic in the standing beans in late August early September.

That way you would have a hot food source for the whole year.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would go with beans or clover, its a proven food souce

Quick Reply: Food Plots or Crops?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.