Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What trees to plant?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Spike

Default RE: What trees to plant?

I strongly suggest not getting a russian olive or anything close to it. Somehow it was introduced into my area and is over-running any free space with-in a 1/2 mile in less then 3 years. A pain in the butt to kill, it loves ditches since it gets ample light.

I tried some Chinease Chestnuts, hoping for a faster production of nuts, only in my 2nd year. I plan on getting some white oaks. I'm cautiously considering saw tooths, seeing that they are a exotic species, I would hate for them too to choke out the native tree's.

(yes, I realize the chestnuts are exotic, I'm a hypocrite )
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

As was asked before...where do you live? ...pretty important.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure how invasive the Sawtooth Oaks aresuppose to be. I know in Alabama the state forest personnelplant them all the time in the state parks.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: USFWC

As was asked before...where do you live? ...pretty important.

I LIVE IN MICHIGAN
Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started my wildlife habitat plan this summer. It'll take me 2-3 years to get everything done, but I decided to stetch it out, to allow more time with the tree's rather than just doing everything & hoping for the best. This Spring I planted mainly conifers (spruces) for cover and several types of hardwoods, but mainly nut producers. I chose Red Oaks because they're native, but also planted several Sawtooth and English oaks because of their superior nut production. I also have a few chestnuts as well, for the same reason. I wrote a journal regarding it, with a few pic's, if you want to check it out.

http://hunting.net/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=934

Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks kshunter. That field journal actually helped out a lot. Im going to see if I can find those same types of trees myself. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a problem. One interesting thing about the sawtooth oaks is that they keep their leaves through most of the winter, where as everything else drops them. Even the young seedlings that we got in April still had leaves from the previously year, and didn't loose them until they started to bud new leaves.

Check out www.coldstreamfarm.netwhenbuying The tree's were in awesome shape, they have a great selection, and they have some of the cheapest prices around for bareroot.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

kshunter; the fact that sawtooths don't drop their leaves will probably keep them from being highly invasive in the north east. The trees in this area are adapted to ice storms. If you give a large sawtooth oak a good ice storm it will rip the branches off the tree. Mother natures way of giving the native trees a fighting chance.

Dan O.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

kshunter, I checked out that website and I am definetly going to order from it. Your right, it has a very nice selection and awsome prices. I will probably be planning on buying some spruces and oaks. As far as oaks go, I'll probably go with English, Sawtooth (for the same reasons as you),and White. If I was to plant them in one general area, how far apart would you recommend I plant from each one? Thanks

Quick Reply: What trees to plant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.