Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Nothing like whats on TV or Magazines >

Nothing like whats on TV or Magazines

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Nothing like whats on TV or Magazines

Old 05-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nothing like whats on TV or Magazines

Ok, I've had a food plot for 3 years now and its grown pretty well, especially last year. But something just isnt right. It hardly looks like theres deer activity in it. I put my camera over it and theres times I'd go 2 weeks and get maybe 5 pictures. Just seems like on TV and magazines, deer destroy food plots. Whats the deal? I'm almost to the point on saying "wow this crap doesnt work like they say", but i know thats not true. Theres just something missing. I have my plot broke into thirds. One third into Biologic, another into some small name brand, and the other into Imperial. The Imperial grew MUCH better than the other two and also had far less weeds in it. So its not that its having trouble growing.

I'll hunt a stand nearby and normally look back into the plot and have yet to see a deer eating in it. Whats going on???

I will say one thing. I admit, I have not mowed it. Im still somewhat new to this. Could this be the problem? I mean, dont deer like a constantly fresh plant or something? I need to do something guys and I need your help. I want this plot to be a prime hunting spot. Please, if anyone can help me with anything I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default RE: Nothing like whats on TV or Magazines

kd,
Have you tried soybean? I also have a real problem with beautiful plots that do not get used. I know deer prefer soybean, because most plotters have trouble keeping the deer off of them until they get large enough to keep up. I developed a much taller, later maturing, Roundup Ready forage soybean to keep up with the deer browse. email me at [email protected] if you have any questions. Brad.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

You have to plant what they find appetizing, and realize that very often you're going head to head with native mast that they prefer. Plots that will consistantly attract game need regular care, something you admit to not doing much. The land surrounding your plot must be considered too, does it have cover or water, or some other feature(s) that attract game to your plot? Another thing to realize is that things you see on tv are put there to sell you something, so of course what they planted is drawing deer, probably from the nearest side of their pen. You didn't really think the host of the show sees monster deer every half hour, did you? BTW, wrasslin' is fake too.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Palatability is important and mowing can help, but placement offood plotscan bethe problem of little usage, especially in areas where habitat quality is high. Do you have an exclusion cage to help gauge the use the plotis receiving? Also, how large is the plot and where are you located?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The plot is roughly 1/4 acre and I live in Michigan. I do plan on making it a little bigger, but probably not until next year. As far as this year, I just want to keep it taken care of and most importantly, keep the deer in it (or should i say, GET the deer in it).
Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

The plot is roughly 1/4 acre and I live in Michigan. I do plan on making it a little bigger, but probably not until next year. As far as this year, I just want to keep it taken care of and most importantly, keep the deer in it (or should i say, GET the deer in it).
...the U.P. or the 'hand'? For small hunting plots like that, I usually suggest a mix of Austrian winter peas, winter wheat and oats.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Drop Tine, thats really good advice which ill definetly use sometime. But my plot is planted and its come up very well. The only problem is deer dont seem to eat it. ESPECIALLY not like they show on TV or magazines. Who knows.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

1/4 acre ?

You're not going to keep deer in that for long. It will get eaten down FAST..Thats if they even let it grow.

You can do a few things to help..

1- fence off the area as best you can and then roll out some metal fence section over the plot.Do whatever you can to keep animals out. With soybean, Geese are ridiculous, they destroy it before its 2" tall.

2- heavily fertilize and lime, then till the heck out of it to get the most out of your soil.

3- try mixing in a milorganite fertilizer(contains human scent)with your other fertilizers.You can also use the milorganite alone, but I like to mix it with the better stuff.

4- Make sure you seed in freshly tilled, moist soil. Seed on a day that you expect rain or rain in the next 24hours. This will allow a "jump start" in germination.

5- PLANT A PERENIAL...and fertilize three times per year. If the plot seems to be dieing and you cant bring it back. Immediatly till it back into the soil(this will give nutrients to the soil) and replant.

6- DO A SOIL TEST. I dont mean just your Potential Hydrogen(PH). I mean dig up 6" of soil, from a few spots on the plot and have a lab test it. Most farm and feed supply companies or garden centerswill have a place that they send their samples. DO IT. It makes a difference.

Once the seed begins to germinate, do not drive over or walk too much. Allow the root structure to develop, thats what makes a plot lush.

Once the crop is starting to show a semi-mature development...remove the wire and fence, being careful not to harm the crop..

If you do this correctly and fertilize right, the plot will grow as the deer(animals) eat it down.

I would try to clear out more area if I were you. As far as getting on within bow range, sometimes smaller is better, but....

For the health of the herd and size of racks and holding deer for an extended period of time....larger is better. You dont even need ot clear trees, just cut alot of the limbs aff of the large trees and remove the saplings. This will create a very open area, with a few trees(kind of like a new home). Then, plant around the large trees
exactly what i was going to say lol
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

Thanks Drop Tine, thats really good advice which ill definetly use sometime. But my plot is planted and its come up very well. The only problem is deer dont seem to eat it. ESPECIALLY not like they show on TV or magazines. Who knows.
Most TV and magazine ads are meant to sell. They show their product in the best light possible. Real world results are often far less impressive. If they showed the real results, their product wouldn't sell as good.

Most, if not all, of the places on tv and magazines they use to push their products would have good hunting without the food plots. They use food plots because they make money pushing the product.

Quick Reply: Nothing like whats on TV or Magazines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.