Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

is 1/2 acre enough???

Old 05-11-2008, 04:14 PM

Default is 1/2 acre enough???

im workinjg on planting a food plot (imperial clover) in a field,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the space i have is not limited to 1/2 acre but i dont want to spent tons of money on something since this is my first time planting a plot.so is 1/2 acre for a food plot enough to attract and hold deer????

Old 05-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Default RE: is 1/2 acre enough???

actually what i mean what is the smallest size plot i can make to hold deer and attract them????
Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes that will attract deer. However depending on the size of your heard it probably won't sustain them. Nonetheless it surely won't hurt!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 PM

so it would give me a way better chance at getting a deer next year/?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 PM

1/2 acre is a good food plot, that is especially big enough if you plan to bow hunt it, if you got a good deer heard in your general area that will attract them.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Spike

You should think about adding chicory in with your clover. I think Imperial Clover is a mix of different types but I'm not sure what types. You can mix clovers that are better at different times of the year for the deer. And adding Chicory will make them even more appealing and better late in the year.

First and for most take a soil sample and get some fertilizer recommendations for what you are planting. Take a look at our small food plots on our website and see what we did with them, seed, cost of everything and progress. www.myarcheryhunt.com
And remember the the first year isn't going to be a miracle year, the second will start to bring more deer in and hold them there.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Spike

Also do research on what's in these mixes. Then go down the local FS or whatever seed house you have around there and price the seeds there. You can do much better $ wise going to the seed house. I'll plug for chicory as well. In IL we've had great luck with red clover, ladino, white clover, and chicory.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM

allright i will
im getting imperial clover today at store
Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Spike

Let me know how much you payed for it. You really can do a lot better on seed prices by checking around. Wildlife Management Solutions has great prices on the same seeds that the other companies are selling for alot more, plus they give you all the support you need straight from the lead biologist. Check them out.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM

ill let you know how it goes
i still have to call mossy oak today about my ph test...................

Quick Reply: is 1/2 acre enough???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.