Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Overseeding

Old 02-19-2003, 12:34 PM

Default Overseeding

I planted a food plot of imperial white tail clover last fall, I notice a lot of bear spots and I would like to over seed it. I read in Deer&Deer hunting mag that you should overseed when their is snow on the ground so the melting of the snow and the thawing of the ground would work the clover seed into the ground. Is this correct? I would like to hear everyones opinion on the best time to overseed a plot.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Overseeding

In our area Ricky you need to seed clover in March , IF there is snow on the ground or one is forecast or a rain seed it and it will help the germination. Dont seed clover in later months. We' ve got too much snow now and it' s a mite early, but it wont be long, I usuall y start seeding Mar 18, that' s my birthday and a good way for me to set a target date....
Old 02-20-2003, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Traditional planting date' s for the Great State of Virginia are;
Costal (Feb. 1-Mar. 1)
S. Pdmt (Feb. 15-Apr. 1)
Mt Val (Mar. 1 -Apr 15)
Which area are you in?
It may be too early to know if the bare spots are bare from over grazing or seed failure. Did you have green up in the bare area' s before the snow? Did you do a soil sample? What was your pH value? Did you lime and fertilize?
Old 02-23-2003, 05:49 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply back. I had green up but not in the bear spots. I planted the clover late Sept. The seed layed about two weeks before it rained. I had a ph test done and it was 7 something can' t remember off the top of my head. I live in the Shenandoah Valley region (Mountain). After seeding in the fall I drag the field to ensure that the seed was in the ground, must have drag some areas to deep. I will overseed the bare spots in March Thanks.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, you may have drug the area to deep. The seed should be presed into the ground. Good luck...