Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Has anyone tried Chufa?

Old 01-18-2002, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anyone tried Chufa?

I've read many good things about growing Chufa for deer and turkeys. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Dan O.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Has anyone tried Chufa?

We plant alot of chufa at our club, and had good luck with it. The turkeys will come from a long way to get it. The turkeys will dig it up to get to the rutes.It has something like a nut on it.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

outfitter; are the deer harvesting it? There's supposed to be many different animals that will dig it up.

Dan O.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:04 AM

When do you plant it? Spring or fall?
Old 01-19-2002, 10:46 AM

I dont think the deer use it as much as the advertisment on the bag claims.Thats my opinion. We plant alot of other food plots at our club for the whitetail so that my be the reason also. I do know the turkeys love it. Our guides do alot of pre scouting before turkey season and they say the turkeys have it looking like a farmer has been in there with a hoe.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:47 PM

Hey outfitter, I HEARD TURKEYS LOVE CHUFA,LETS SAY YOU PLANT CHUFA IN THE SPRING ABOUT APRIL, WILL THEY START EATING IT RIGHT AWAY????????? OR WAIT TILL THE NUTS?????I HAVE NEVER MESSED WITH CHUFA, THANKS WASP 2
Old 01-20-2002, 08:09 AM

I planted chufa here in norteast Mich in the spring and I had the deer hit it also. My turkeys didn't really hit it all that well but maybe they didn't know what it was. I tilled some up to expose the nuts or tubars as they're called but my bireds didn't seem real interested about them....marty
Old 01-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

We're just getting the Turkeys reintroduced to the area around Wiarton, Ontario. So I figured it might make a good multi game crop. I think we traded someone in the USA some moose and elks to get the turkeys. I wish we could trade some Canada Geese.

Outfitter: was it field planted or did you just broadcast the chufa seed onto the soil?

Dan O.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:26 PM

I'm not sure that I've ever seen Chufa. What does it look like and what is it mostly used for? I'm getting ready to plant some food plots this spring. But I'm not sure what to plant. I have had good luck with plain old red clover.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:15 PM

I have never seen the turkeys use it until the nuts have developed. We prefer to field plant it. We have a couple small areas were we broad casted it and it comes up but i think it gets a better hold field planting. If you broad cast it make sure you run a drag over it. Like i said before i dont think the deer use it to much but it might be because we plant several different food plots for the deer.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried Chufa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.