HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Has anyone tried Chufa? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/2248-has-anyone-tried-chufa.html)

Dan O. 01-18-2002 02:55 PM

Has anyone tried Chufa?

I've read many good things about growing Chufa for deer and turkeys. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Dan O.

outfitter 01-18-2002 08:35 PM

RE: Has anyone tried Chufa?

We plant alot of chufa at our club, and had good luck with it. The turkeys will come from a long way to get it. The turkeys will dig it up to get to the rutes.It has something like a nut on it.

Dan O. 01-18-2002 08:41 PM

outfitter; are the deer harvesting it? There's supposed to be many different animals that will dig it up.

Dan O.

TnTom 01-19-2002 04:04 AM

When do you plant it? Spring or fall?

outfitter 01-19-2002 10:46 AM

I dont think the deer use it as much as the advertisment on the bag claims.Thats my opinion. We plant alot of other food plots at our club for the whitetail so that my be the reason also. I do know the turkeys love it. Our guides do alot of pre scouting before turkey season and they say the turkeys have it looking like a farmer has been in there with a hoe.

wasp 2 01-19-2002 10:47 PM

Hey outfitter, I HEARD TURKEYS LOVE CHUFA,LETS SAY YOU PLANT CHUFA IN THE SPRING ABOUT APRIL, WILL THEY START EATING IT RIGHT AWAY????????? OR WAIT TILL THE NUTS?????I HAVE NEVER MESSED WITH CHUFA, THANKS WASP 2

marty 56 01-20-2002 08:09 AM

I planted chufa here in norteast Mich in the spring and I had the deer hit it also. My turkeys didn't really hit it all that well but maybe they didn't know what it was. I tilled some up to expose the nuts or tubars as they're called but my bireds didn't seem real interested about them....marty

Dan O. 01-20-2002 01:49 PM

We're just getting the Turkeys reintroduced to the area around Wiarton, Ontario. So I figured it might make a good multi game crop. I think we traded someone in the USA some moose and elks to get the turkeys. I wish we could trade some Canada Geese.

Outfitter: was it field planted or did you just broadcast the chufa seed onto the soil?

Dan O.

Elsie 01-20-2002 07:26 PM

I'm not sure that I've ever seen Chufa. What does it look like and what is it mostly used for? I'm getting ready to plant some food plots this spring. But I'm not sure what to plant. I have had good luck with plain old red clover.

outfitter 01-20-2002 11:15 PM

I have never seen the turkeys use it until the nuts have developed. We prefer to field plant it. We have a couple small areas were we broad casted it and it comes up but i think it gets a better hold field planting. If you broad cast it make sure you run a drag over it. Like i said before i dont think the deer use it to much but it might be because we plant several different food plots for the deer.