Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
QDMA GETS A    A+++++++ in my book, READ!!! >

QDMA GETS A A+++++++ in my book, READ!!!

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

QDMA GETS A A+++++++ in my book, READ!!!

Old 01-29-2003, 07:53 AM

Default QDMA GETS A A+++++++ in my book, READ!!!

Hey guys,

As I said in my other post, I e-mailed QDMA to get some more info about planting food plots. Well, today I got a phone call from Kip Adams (reginoal director for QDMA). He called me to discuss my questions, which would be easier to talk about and discuss than e-mail. Well, he helpled me out, answered all of my questions, and gave me alot of tips and info, and I am not even a member of QDMA (yet).
This was a shocker, but, I am truly impressed at what these guys will do to help you. I give them an A+++ in my book. After this conversation, I feel that I have a really good amount of info on planting. He described everything to me from frost seeding, to PH levels, to what type of plants are good for warm/cool season, to how to plant them, and even about how and why it will change deer patterns.
These guys are great, and I highly suggest that if any of you have any questions about managing your land, e-mail them and give them your phone number. Kip gave me his phone number and e-mail address incase I need anymore help or have any more questions.
This has lead me to my decision to join QDMA this Friday. With how well these guys treat you and the knowledge that will be learned, it will be a great investment. I will join as a 3 year membership, and whenever I have the money to spare, I am gonna join as a life member.
I just wanted to let you guys know about this. Like I said, these guys were a HUGE help and very nice.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet

Check out my hunting PICS here http://community.webshots.com/user/buckmagnet
Old 01-29-2003, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: QDMA GETS A A+++++++ in my book, READ!!!

Buck Magnet,

Great to hear!! Do you remember your reservations about QDMA around a year ago?

Great to see your decision and the fact that you kept your mind open, and undoubtably weighed the evidence in your decision.

My original offer of a year ago still stands. E-mail me and I will buy your first year's membership. As I said before, you display a great passion for deer and deer management, and will not only make a great member, but will benifit from the wealth of resources that will be made available to you, especially the Quarterly Whitetails subscription.

Great to see your choice!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 01-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Here is some food plot information from the Mid-Michigan QDMA Branch.

http://members.tripod.com/~mmbqdm/Fo.../foodplots.htm

--------------------
Be a steward of the resouce, not just a deer killer.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:02 AM

Thanks guys,

NorthJeff,
I remeber very well. I was entirely opposed to Dr.Gary Alt and his theories in Pennsylvania, ect. But, like you said, I looked at the big picture, checked out some data, and came to the conclusion that it is the best thing for the deer. It may make it more difficult to put meat in the freezer, but, I have grown out of the "I wanna shoot a buck" stage, and now, I wanna help the herd and harvest mature bucks. That is why I got skunked on a buck this year. Well, that and the fact that the one buck that I wanted came into range but was behind a bush. Did he ever step out from behind it? NOPE, he just turned 90 degrees and walked away with the bush between him and I. O well, he will be even bigger next year.
Thanks for the offer, but, I will buy my subscription. I wanna feel that I am personally helping contribute to the cause, if you know what I mean.

BobS, thanks for the link, I have it saved in my favorites folder, and, when I have a little more time later tonight, I will read it.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet

Check out my hunting PICS here http://community.webshots.com/user/buckmagnet
Old 01-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Buck Magnet,

I figured you'd buy your own, just didn't want you to think it wasn't a valid offer in the first place.

Check out Ed Spinnazolas book on food plots, I believe it's called Food Plots 1-2-3. It's sold the throught the Mid-Michigan QDMA, and I believe it's advertised on the national web site, with proceeds going to the QDMA. Ed has a ton of expertise based on almost 30 years of planting food plots, with a farming background to back it up.
It's a great guide!!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 01-29-2003, 11:22 AM

Guys - just wanted to add to what has already been said, Ed Spinnazola's book is a must read and the your cost goes to a good cause. Two other books to read are: "Planting Food Plots For Deer and Other Wildlife" by John Weiss and "Quality Deer Management, The Basics and Beyond" by Charles Alsheimer. One last thing, if you aren't a member of the QDMA, give them a call. I think that you will be happy that you did.

Charlieb
Old 01-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check the QDMA website for a list of seminars being presented. It will be the best investment of time toward deer hunting and herd management you can make.

Old 01-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

We know Ed Spinnski quite well and think very highly of him. A true prince of the deer nutrition industry. If he says it, it most likely is true...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 01-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
&quot;Quality Deer Management, The Basics and Beyond&quot; by Charles Alsheimer. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>I got it for Christmas, it`s a beautiful book.

lunchbucket, I had dinner with Ed and some of the other Mid-Michigan branch members after the last quarterly meeting. Ed is quite a guy.

--------------------
Be a steward of the resouce, not just a deer killer.