Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

planting in a saw mill?

Old 01-10-2003, 05:31 PM

Default planting in a saw mill?

My property was logged 3 years ago. They set up a saw mill in 3 different spots in the woods to cut the logs into lumber. The areas are about 100'x100'. The nice thing is they used a dozer to clear the area so there are few stumps. I was planning on planting food plots in these areas this spring. The thing that concerns me is the oils from the saw dust. I will not be planting directly in the saw dust pile but right nearby. Has this area had enough time to overcome the contamination form the oils? I do not plan on doing a ph test since the test would likely be contaminated. What amount of lime and fertilizer would you recommend using. I was planning on planting red clover. Do you have any suggestions??

Eddie
Old 01-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: planting in a saw mill?

Sawdust is infamous for consuming large amounts of nitrogen for decomposition. That's one reason why it makes poor mulch around trees. I would spread urea and 10-10-10 fertilizer on the sawdust. This will decompose it and should produce a good compost. The oil is more difficult to decompose. It will require a starter bacterial culture and large amounts of aeration. There are products on the market (oil gater) that you can inocculate the site with. I would then spread 10-10-10 fertilizer and urea if there is sawdust present. Use a garden tiller and work the soil/sawdust 6-8" deep. You will probably require more fertilizer and aerations for reasonable decomposition of the oil.

Was the oil of natural source or petroleum based?

Dan O.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: planting in a saw mill?

If possible I would take a box blade or dozier and push off the majority of the sawdust from the planting area. I would still check the ph.