Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

No acorns or pecans

Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Default No acorns or pecans

We had a very late freeze this year. I'm wondering how big of an impact this will have on the critters.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No acorns or pecans

Combine it with the drought that we've had and you may have a very light crop. That can be good if you have a tree that does have a crop as the animals will zero in on it.

Dan O.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Can the deer where you live tell the difference between a vanilla based acorn scent lure and the real thing? How about dry roasted or raw pecans from the store over tree ripened variety?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm sure they can tell, but I don't think it matter. Have been putting out storebought apples & other things, they've been eating the hell out of them. I'd always go with the non-commercial on the pecans. Our stores here ask a pretty penny for what they carry. Have you ever used peanuts or peanutbutter kevin1? I've also got a pumpkin patch this year, coyotes come up and steal them from my garden, but I've never set any out for food before this year. Anyone had any luck with pumpkins?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I've used peanut scented lures, we can't bait here. I usually carry PB&J sammiches when hunting somewhere other than my back yard, and I've had deer approach from downwind more than once because of it. They also seem to like the scent of sour apple chewing gum or Jolly Ranchers. I also carry small spray bottles filled with fresh apple cider to scent the breeze. I've heard that the smell of the juice from creamed sweet corn will attract them, but I haven't tried it personally(yet). One thing I've been itching to try is an alfalfa potpouri, I just have to figure out a heat source for it, perhaps a vanilla scented tea light pot? I can get one at the Dollar Tree store for a buck and the tea lights as well. The alfalfa treats at Tractor Supply would give me a good cheap source of material for the potpouri.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:59 PM

I've heard that about the jolly ranchers. Might try this year. That sucks you can't feed them there. I could ups you a 50# bale of it to feed the rabbits around your setup The idea about the alfalfa really intrigues me. I boil my traps in a bottom half of a 55gal drum. Brew up a bigarse pot full of that stuff with a stiff north wind, haha! Have you always had pretty good luck with apple scents? Never used potpourri before for any reason, but what about those fuel blocks from military surplus for a heat source?