Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Feeder Hung from Tree in Wood??

Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Feeder Hung from Tree in Wood??

Whattya know...have one on my site...

Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 AM

i will try to get some photo's of my feeders. They usually take about 4-5 hours to put up, but once there up, bears can't get to them. The best part is that filling is simple. First I buy 60/70 ft of steel cable (at least 700lb working load).It should cost about 45 cents a foot or cheaper if bought in bulk, like i do. You will need: climbing tree stand, 10-14 u bolts 1/4 size for (3/16 and 1/4 inch cable), 8 (7 inch 3/8 lag bolts),6 3/8 21/2in lag bolts, 1 4x4 treated lumber (cut to 15-20inches or so), boat winch (rated to 1200lb or more - walmart carries them for 25-30$) it's ok if they don't comewire rope, you can add itwith you left overs from above, just take off the free nylon strap it comes with, 6in 1/4 drill bit or longer, cordless drill (several batteries) two pulleys rated to 450lb or more,3 3/16 ubolts, 1 heavy duty eye bolt and 2 oval clasps rated to 400lb or more, a feeder (moultrie magnum pro hanging feeder works well and holds two batteries) and less work to put up.but you can make your own(i used a 65 gal barrel that i got from a pickle supplier and a moultrie magnum feederspreader). just a warning don't useany typeof feeder spreader from american hunter on 25 gal or more feeder barrels, they will get stuck alot because of the weight of the corn and the socalled wind gaurd gets hung on the corn. weak motors. all the parts needed except for the feeder it self should cost about 100$a little less or more depending on everythingyou buy at what price. I know that this is alot of stuff, but once you start on it and finish you won't regret it and use a friend to help you. it will make things much easier for you.1. find two trees about 7-12ft apart. both should be 8in in dia or more a piece. 2. climb one tree(at least 20ft to alot room for the barreland line movement wuth the weight.)and hang the the first end of your wire rope using two 1/4 ubolts, wrap the rope two to three times around the tree before tighting down. 3. then find the half way point from the two trees and attach the two 3/16 ubolts directly on the line about 2inches apart. take one of the pulleys and attach it to one of the oval clasps. slide the clasp inbetween the two 3/16 ubolts tape the oval in place so it doesn't slide while you climb up the other tree. make sure you add your steel cable(from the winch to the feeder)to the pulley before climbing the second tree. 4. climb the second tree at a level height, then wrap the cabletwo to three times and tighten down using two more 1/4 ubolts (make sure the line is as tight as you can get). cut off any extra line using bolt cutters (easy way of doing it).5 attach the 20in 4x4 to either tree, using the 8 lag bolts ( easy done if you pre drill holes and use a wrachet strap to hold it while you begin tighting bolts)make sure you give 6inches of clear space in the middle of the 4x4 to add the winch. the lag bolts could get in your way. once it is on the tree, attach the winch to the 4x4. using the smalllag bolts(2 1/2in ones). your winchcableshould come down and be centered in the winch. 6. drill and attach your eye bolt directly overthe winch and add aoval claspaand the last pulley. run the cable through it (this will take some of the direct weight off the winch, helping with wear and tear over the up coming years of service.)7. lastly attach the end of the winch cable to the feeder barrel (if you use the moultrie feeder all you have to do is add cable to it and then connect the two cables using a hook that should of came free with the winch). 8. add corn and winch up to your desired height . the winch will have a forward lock, switch it on and enjoy the hard work you put in. i realize it sounds confusing but it works. best of luck. hope i was helpful. i know others have used the same method with great and long term hassel free use. any questions ask.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM

here is a photo from my trail cam with several deer. you can't really see the top but you can see how the whole confusing set up works. the winch is on the 4x4 block i spoke of and it runs directly to a pulley hanging in between the trees.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 PM

here's another picture of a bear trying to get to the barrel. In case you were wondering, it's a Moultrie I-40 camera

Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM

I guess it also depends on what you're trying to feed... deer, quail, turkey?? I just did a thread on quail feeder / cover.... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2359489

Old 10-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

hey guys...thanks...i never looked back to see the pics..all really good setupsss...big time..
i like that steel barrel. is that a timer under it??? thanks again.

hey nice buck in the one pic..and the bear is funny
Old 10-21-2007, 06:41 AM

I don't have a picture of the unit I used, can't use it anymore since they made it illegal. But I bought a feeder from Cabelas, i think it was a Moultrie with the timer. It was basically a 35 gallon plastic drum with a locking lid with band on top and the conical feeder on the bottom, timer was set for twice a day. I picked a spot between two trees about 10 ft apart. I ran some rope between the two trees 3 times so that there was six runs of 1" line to hook into and eliminate most of the sagging the line would do. I then used an old come along i had and hooked it onto the line and the hanging bar on the feeder. When it was time to re-stock the feeder I had to carry a ladder down to my stand with a bag of feed over my shoulder. I just went up, lowered the unit with the come along, poured the feed/corn in and then raise it back up with the come along. It was a pain hiking through the woods with a ladder in one hand and a sack of feed on my other shoulder but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 AM

I didn't see the other pics but the one with the bear in it looks just like the unit I had. And I had bear problems too!