Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Strawberry Bush

Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Strawberry Bush

I have read a lot about the Strawberry Bush being “Dear Candy”. I read they need to be planted inside of cages so the deer can forage on what grows through the cage and not kill the plant. I checked with my local nursery where I recently purchased apple trees for my farm and they said they were not familiar with this plant. Has anyone had any success with this plant or know where they could be ordered?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Default RE: Strawberry Bush

You can order them from http://www.wildlifegroup.com/I thought about getting some for my place, BUT be warned that they are toxic to livestock. My neighbor does run cattle on my place a few months of the year, and the birds would likely scatter the seeds to his farm. So, keep all of this in mind before ordering them.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Criggster

You can order them from http://www.wildlifegroup.com/I thought about getting some for my place, BUT be warned that they are toxic to livestock. My neighbor does run cattle on my place a few months of the year, and the birds would likely scatter the seeds to his farm. So, keep all of this in mind before ordering them.
Is this another name for honeysuckle?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:13 PM

Answerguy it is also called "hearts-a-burstin". I don't think it is honeysuckle, but rather some type of bush.