Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck Jam?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 AM

Default Buck Jam?

ok anyone here used Buck Jam? its the Appple flavored mineral treat that you put in the ground & the deer come from near & far to eat??? lol just wondering
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Buck Jam?

no. but i take a jar of cheap peanut butter and screw the cap onto a tree. then i screw the jar onto the cap. then i cut the bottom out of the plastic jar. perhaps you can do the same thing with your jam, and add a loaf or two of sliced bread.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

your terrible dude
Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

I've used it. Seems to work all right. Smells real good, but tastes salty and bitter. I usually pour it on and around new feeders to get them coming in.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

o. but i take a jar of cheap peanut butter and screw the cap onto a tree. then i screw the jar onto the cap. then i cut the bottom out of the plastic jar. perhaps you can do the same thing with your jam, and add a loaf or two of sliced bread.
[quote]ORIGINAL: psandhu - be careful cutting the plastic. my knife hit a soft spot in the plastic and went through the jar into my thumb deep. use a hack saw. buck jam didnt attract anything but flies and racoons for me. you could buy bulk molassas in a 5 gal. pail at the feed stores for like 15$ if you want to try sweet stuff.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I just posted this story in the bowhunting forum.

Yesterday i went to a new piece of property that i got permission to hunt on. My plan was to scout a good spot, put up my feeder, put up my camera, and lay out some buck jam to draw the animals in. Well i found a natural funnel at the bottom of a hollow along side a dried up creek bed. I started clearing out a spot to put my feeders and even carved out a trail so that i could get to my stand without crossing their trail. I was being pretty loud and careless. It was nearly 100 degrees outside and i just wanted to get home. So, I put up my feeder and hauled a bag of corn and a bottle of buck jam down to my spot. I then returned to my truck to get the camera, as i was walking back down to the spot i noticed two small bucks sniffing the jug of unopened buck jam. I watched for a while and decided that i can't sit there all day and wait for them to leave. So i starting walking down towards them and they spotted me. They didn't run off, they just slowly walked away about 30 yards and grazed acorns and occasionally looked up to watch me for a while. I strapped my camera to the tree filled my feeder with corn and then i opened the bottle of buck jam and poured it out on the ground. As soon as i turned around one of the bucks was about 10 yards away from me stomping his feet. I picked up the strongest stick that i could find and gathered my gear and returned to my truck. I waited about 5 minutes and then slowing crept down the trail to about 40 yards of the feeders and watched as these two bucks would cautiously walk up to the buck jam and start licking away until the camera went off, in which they would both jump up into the air and take off in two directions. Then they would return 5 minutes later to repeat the process.

This piece of property is very far out in the country. There are no nearby houses or people. Why are these deer so bold? Are they stupid, curious or can they just not resist the buck jam?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

works awesome for me!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

sound like they have had contact of some type with people..dont forget they are wildlife and
people like to feed them...so while u might be hunting them on your farm..the next farm might
view them as wild pets...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Best thing i've ever used hands down.

my best friend called me yesterday "man, you gotta try that buck jam, they ate 50lbs of corn in one night that I soaked with it".

My reply "didn't I tell you to try it LAST season".
Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: psandhu

no. but i take a jar of cheap peanut butter and screw the cap onto a tree. then i screw the jar onto the cap. then i cut the bottom out of the plastic jar. perhaps you can do the same thing with your jam, and add a loaf or two of sliced bread.
Sounds like a good way to feed coons!!

Quick Reply: Buck Jam?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.