Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

sorghum

Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 AM

Default sorghum

Just curious to know if anyone has any experience with sorghum for deer?

All thoughts appreciated!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 AM

Default RE: sorghum

this may be dumb but what is it?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Twister...I havent had an expierence with it yet but I will be planting a food plot next year that is mainly Sorghum and Soybean. With a little bit of sunflowers mixed in. I think it will be a great plot not only for deer but gamebirds and songbirds as well. I got the mix at TSC(tractor supply) and it's made by Evolved Harvest. It's called Maximize.
Good Luck with your plot!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:38 PM

We use it it is great for both deer and birds got it in late this year we ad peas to ours.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 PM

I got it this plot palnted with mainly sorghum, and corn, with soybeans, oats and lab lab mixed in. The Sorghum was planted to heavy but the plototherwise is very healthy.

I think the turkeys may like this later in the season.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is one of our plots about3 weeks ago. It is grain sorghum (milo) and cowpeas. The milo is too thick in this plot.If thehogs find itthey will make a mess of it.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

We never have tried it.

I think deer will use the cover - an maybe browse the "doughy" seed heads - but I don't think its a preffered food source.

FH
Old 07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, it is not a preferred food source for deer. The cow peas climbing up the milo isa preferred food source for deer.Quail love the milo and often take up residence in it.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Spike

If you're meaning the grain sorghum "Milo" and not the forage sorghum, deer love it. I've seen deer in our area (S.W.Ok.) walk over 2 miles down a dirt county road passing winter wheat on the way just to eat in it at nightafter the heads had become mature. It took us forever to figure out what was happening. The field was torn up with tracks but we rarely saw a deer in it or on the edges. One morning after a rain the night before, we were on the way to another hunting spot (down a paved road) when we came by the dirt county road with loads of tracks coming out of the river bottom(tracks were both ways). When we followed them to see where the deer had gone, it was the sorghum field where wehad beenseeing all the tracks but not the deer. They were coming out of the river bottom from who knows how far and traveling down the dirt road 2 miles to the edge of the field, eating, and then going back to the river bottom. Basedon that, I'd say they must like it fairly well at the right time of the year.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Basedon that, I'd say they must like it fairly well at the right time of the year."

Was at our place in Garvin county today. The deer are coming into that patch and others. As of now they are just eating the peas. Sounds like the milo has to mature before they go after it.

Quick Reply: sorghum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.