Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Where the heck are my deer???

Old 06-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where the heck are my deer???

Every year I grow a 2 acre food plot right next to a 10 acre field of horse corn. The two acre plot is flanked by woods on three sides, and the corn is right in front of it, next to my house.The corncreates great cover next to the food plot, and from about June all the wayto Dec. I watch deer right from my window eat at all times of the day.(especially in the summer months)

This is the first year I tried RR soybeans, and they look beautiful......But this is also the first year my cousin didn't plant horse corn in the 10 acre field...so the tall cover is not there.

Needless to say, I haven't seen a single deer in my food plot......YET! Last year I saw 10-15 deer a night with multible bucks during the summer months.I know it's early but I thought the deer would go to town on the newly germinated soybean plants.(previously I had clover and alphalpha) Either the deer don't care for the plant and only likethe bean(in other fields I've seen deer decimate young soybean plants).....or the missing corn field has deterred them from entering the plot. I really don't know, but It definately has me little down. [&o]

Anyone have any insight?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Where the heck are my deer???

Here is what I think from my own expirence. At this time of year the deer have plenty of natural food without needing to feed on food plots,etc. Also removing the corn might have also down it because..#1. the deer were probably drawn to the corn and since they were walking through the food plot any way they would stop and eat awhile. And #2. the cover was probably and added bonus. Another thing I have seen around the farms I visit frequently is that the deer are more interested in the beans if food is plentiful because the plant really does have as many nutrients as the bean. But they still love soybean plants as well. My opinion would be just give it time and later in the summer to fall you probably will see the same number of deer grazing your plot as years before. If not I have no idea where they went LOL
Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

This one of last years bucks in my back yard, about 50 yds away from my house. The two acre plot is behind him. You can see what I'm missing.[:@]

Old 06-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm far from an expert but doesn't it take until later in the summer/early fallbefore beans are ready to be eaten? Clover and Alfalfa don't take long. Am I wrong?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

No your not wrong, but the deer should be out there mowing down the soybean shoots. At least that's what they do in other fields.

Here's the 2 acre field of RR soybeans...The deer should be on that like white on rice![>:]

Old 06-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be patient, they will come...Our beans down here are 8-10 inches tall and the deer are wearing them out...
Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Late July & August are the time for soybeans.

The fact that your deer are not hammering your young bean plot is probably good news- they don't need or want to yet.

Consider yourself lucky that the plot can grow without harassment until maturity - I think the deer will come - and suddenly 1/3 of your plot will disappear overnight. It happens to me right when the beans flower.

FH
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your right FH, If they were hammering it so soon I'd have a topic on how the deer are ruining my plot.....I'll just wait and see. I'm hoping that big nine will be back in it's full glory sporting about 160" of bone between it's ears!

Thanksfor everyones responses.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 AM

They are in my Dove Fields just killing my Sun Flowers. Can you come pick them up and take em back home?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: pigiron

Your right FH, If they were hammering it so soon I'd have a topic on how the deer are ruining my plot.....I'll just wait and see.
Yep, I've not been able to get anything over about three inches tall before it's mowed. Getting ready to plant for the third time. Just put the camera out to see what's hitting the plots.

Quick Reply: Where the heck are my deer???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.