Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New mineral lick update

Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 AM

Default New mineral lick update

Awhile back I read the mineral lick post that had a recipewhich included di-calcium phosphate, trace mineral, and salt. Well I just gained access to a new piece of property and decided to try and establish mineral licks b/c there is already about 10 acres of corn, clover, and alfalfa grown on the property. I substituted the straight saltwith dried molasses. I used 1 part of each and mixed them equally into 5gl pails. It yielded 3 full pails with a little left over.

The area of most concern to me was a large wooded hillside w/ almost no undergrowth. The deer trails were scattered all over the place. So I placed 1 pail in a central area on the hillside.The other pails I placed in a couple of areas around the property.One of which wasjust inside a tree line at the edge of a field. That was moreof a "lets see what will happen" thing since there wasn't a whole lot of deer signs in the area.

Well,this weekend was a monthlater so I went to check them out. They have all been hit hard! We got some good rain about a week after placing them and the ground must have really absorbed the concoction b/c they were all dug into. The most surprising was the test spot on the field edge was also torn up and there are now two trails w/ deer tracks and signs leading to and from it.

Just thought some of you would be interested. I have gone the basic route of using mineral blocks and salt b/f on other property and it always seem to take much longer for them to become established. If I were to guess it, the dried molassesprobably had something to do with it.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New mineral lick update

Told ya so...

All kidding aside, that receipeis awesome and it's been passed around to I couldn't tell you how many folks! The feedback and the in-the-field reports are always the same..... impressive! Sadly, we have not been able to use it here in Illinois for a number of years now! [&o] They (The Sate of IL) considers it baiting which is against the law here.Mineral licks alsoaid in the spread of disease and with the fairly recent CWD threat, the State doesn't want to take the risk during ANY part of the year.

Here's the mix again for anyone that may choose to use,... where legal of course.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADEMINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of, mineral and then each year there after.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Default RE: New mineral lick update

I went to Southern States and got this recipe. I followed the instructions two weeks ago and put it in place. Last week I put my game camera up to start getting an idea of usage.
185 pictures in 5 days. The deer hammered it!
I'm sold.