Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Who kept weight records of deer this year? >

Who kept weight records of deer this year?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Who kept weight records of deer this year?

Old 12-17-2002, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who kept weight records of deer this year?

Just curious if anyone else is keeping records to monitor their program success/faliure? We've always weighed our bucks, but not always the does. The last few years we've weight the dressed weight of all our deer taken.

This year, our weights were down, across the board. 2-1/2 yr old bucks, 125-135 lb (usually 150ish) 1-1/2 year old bucks (105-115)(usually 120ish) No 3-1/2yr bucks, and does (did not age them - should have) 85 lb - 130 lb. All the does were at least 1-1/2 - 2 weighed in at only 85 lbs which seems pretty light, 3 were over 115 which seems more like it. Only one Doe seemed "huge", and she only dressed 130.

I think that the overall drought this summer, and the overpopulation of deer contributed to a lower weight avg, than the last couple years. I wished we could have taken at least a few more does, but it didn't work out that way. We were glad to harvest the does we did, and several good bucks were taken. On the 180 acres we manage - we harvested 7 bucks and 5 does between 7 hunters. A few bucks were taken that were young 6 points, 1 was a 3 point(our overall goal is to increase our 2-1/2yr buck population), but I wouldn't begrudge a single deer harvested this year to anyone. We all still let bucks pass, and some good ones at that. There just seems to be too many deer period where we are.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:32 AM
SAK

Default RE: Who kept weight records of deer this year?

We have about 150 acres and are part of a 500 acre management area. We have kept records of all of our deer harvests over the last 4 years. All of them antlerless except 1 buck harvest this year. To date 25 antlerless deer between the ages of .5 to 3.5 that weighed between 48 pounds to 105 pounds (dressed weights). So this seems consistent with your weights (we are in PA). I did not notice any drop in weights this year. The only buck we have harvested was a 2 1/2 year old 10 point that weighed 130 pounds dressed once again, consistent with your data. We are trying to increase the number of 3.5 year old bucks. Sounds like you guys are pretty successful hunters but the number of bucks killed off a fairly small management area seems high. Overall we have only killed 4 bucks off of our 500 acre management area in the last 4 years. But we are looking for 3.5 year olds. If there are too many doe on your management area harvest as many as possible, you'll never kill too many, recruit help if needed. In the last 4 years on the overall area we have harvested well over 50 doe and only 4 bucks and have seen little impact on the doe population. Once again, Harvest as many doe as possible. Just my thoughts from someone who has done this for a while and lives to do it.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

FH
We have weighed our deer for at least the last 10 years. Over the last 5 years of serious QDM, I can say that I honestly have not seen any change in body weights. Not sure why.
Weights of our deer usually run:
fawns... 35-50lbs
1.5... does 60-80lbs; bucks 75-90lbs
2.5... does 80-90lbs; bucks 90-110lbs
3.5 & up... does 90+lbs; bucks 110+lbs

Honestly we have not take that many deer that we know for sure are over 3.5. We have in the last 10 years weighed over 200 deer. So I'd say the averages are pretty accurate. Up until this year, the heaviest deer ever killed was 121lbs...a 4.5 year old buck. This year, a 4.5 year old buck was taken that was HUGE by comparison....145lbs. We have no idea how or why he was so big. 24lbs bigger than our best ever in over 15 years of hunting. ??? He had a nice rack also...very heavy, and good tine length, but only a 13" spread. I'd say he went around 115"...which is about as good as we've ever taken on our place. We have not changed anything on the property really...just the way and amount of deer we kill. We average over 25 does a year for the last 5 years, and few bucks. Like SAK said, we have not really seen a change in the doe population, but have definitely seen a difference in buck sightings, and especially in the 2.5 and up age group. We regularly see a half dozen or more nice symetrical 8 points that are 2.5 with around 13-15" spreads. Of course....seeing those same deer the following year always seems to prove a challenge. I think they really get smart between 2.5 & 3.5 Not sure why the body weights haven't changed....but our place is in line with what ends up at the check in stations each year weight wise. I imagine some of the properties around have heavier deer because of better nutrition, but there are few checked in each year over the 140 mark.

Old 12-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies so far, I find it interseting the
weights in different areas.

Like I indicated earlier, the weights seem a little down for our bucks anyway. 4 of the bucks taken were 2-1/2 (one is questionable?) and one of them only weighed 115lbs dressed.

Our QDM goal is a little different than some. Our goal for our 7 hunters is to increase the number of 2-1/2 yr old bucks for harvest. At the same time, we hope to harvest a 3-1/2yr old each year (none this year - a couple were seen). We keep records of different buck sightings during the hunting season, and had 27 different buck sightings this year. We try to omit duplicate counts, but its not always possible - I'm sure we double counted a couple spikes. Of the 27 seen, 7 were harvested, 13 were passed, and the others were out of range, missed (1 deer missed), or an obstruction prevented a shot. We did not count sightings from a vehicle, at over 100 yds, or at night.

I realize that 7 bucks harvested seems like alot, and it is 3 more than our 10 year average, but as I said before, I wouldn't begrudge a single hunter in our group the deer that were taken. This year we had a 1st bowkill for one hunter, and a 1st blackpowder kill for another, both were 1-1/2yr olds, and true trophys for them.

Our biggest obstacle is the doe numbers, and deer numbers overall. You know the saying "plant it and they will come?, well they did, and stayed. We donated a couple this year, and that was OK, but a little against our normal way, but may be our best bet going forward, if we wish to harvest more does. We also plan to invite friends to come and "doe hunt", but have avoided it thus far, as most people we know would not understand not being allowed to take a buck, and freindships can get strained if it happens. How do you guys handle taking more deer than you can eat? - We had a few tags left over, but all but 1 were bow or blackpowder only.

The best part about the QDM we've initiated, is that we see more deer, more bucks, and some of the guys are just now getting used to "passing them up", I fall into that category as well. We hope to get a couple of the neighbors on board, but so far thats proved to be a tough nut to crack.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-19-2002, 02:02 PM

I got a buck and doe both weighed in at 170+. Last year I took a small doe just because it was getting towards the end of season she weighed 140. I've seen alot bigger deer, but I think you're right about the drought effecting the deer. Most of the deer I've gotten weigh around 160-180+. I also think that the drought had to do with there not being as many deer, Atleast in the adirondecks.