Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fertilizing oak trees?

Old 12-12-2002, 03:44 PM

Default Fertilizing oak trees?

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do for fertilizing oak trees? Come spring I would like to fertilize some oaks and would like to know what I should use.Any help would be grateful

Old 12-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fertilizing oak trees?

I've heard the tree fertilizer spikes work good. They're kind of expensive though. I use 10-10-10 and spread it all through the woods and put extra around the oaks.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:25 PM

Is there a certain amount you apply?Do you apply it with a hand spreader?

Old 12-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

I usually borrow a buddies pull behind spreader. It's the kind with big air tires and works good in the woods. If I can't get it I use a hand spreader. I also put a fairly heavy line of fertilizer around the base of the oaks by hand. I try to do this just before a rainy day. The spot I put it on is about a half of an acre and generally put out 200 to 300 pounds. Early March is about the best time.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are putting fertilizer around individual trees, drill holes with a tree auger and fill the hole with the fertilizer@about 50 lbs a tree.Drill holes at the drip line of the tree.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:57 PM

I fertilizer the live oaks in my hut area every year.I put about 10lbs to 15lbs per tree,out to the drip line. 10-10-10. sure helps the acorn crop every year.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Try to stay away from the salt based fertilizers...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 01-01-2003, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

I thought I would add this link to this thread: http://members.tripod.com/~mmbqdm/index.html

It has lots of great info on growing oak trees.

Success in Oak Tree Plantings

by Leon E. Hank

Holt, Michigan

One of the principles of Quality Deer Management is that deer hunters should be good deer managers and stewards of our deer habitat. That means we should maintain and improve the habitat that is so critical to the whitetail deer.

If you are an avid hunter like me, you have probably read your share of sporting magazine articles where another hunter recommended that you plant a few oak trees. You probably read that planting oaks is one of the best things you can do to improve both wildlife habitat and your future hunting opportunities.

Oak trees have always been special to me. When my father first starting taking me deer hunting nearly thirty-five years ago, we grabbed our bows and headed for a huge mature oak forest where there were lots of acorns and, of course, lots of deer foraging for them. Since that first hunt and my first encounter with a whitetail, I have been fascinated with oaks.

Planting a few oaks sounds like a good idea and it sounds simple, but is it simple?
<snip>
Old 01-06-2003, 03:54 PM

A friend fertilizes the oaks in his area by using a post hole digger. Dig down about 18 inches and fill hole with a time release fertilizer. Dig holes around drip line, 4 to 5 per tree.