Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sawtooth Oak

Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sawtooth Oak

Has anyone had good luck with Sawtooth Oak and Gobbler Sawtooth oak trees in the Northern climates?? I was wanting to get a few of these trees and plant them on my property in Northern Michigan and was wonder if they are up to the sometimes harsh winters! Thanks!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sawtooth Oak

I dont have much experience w/ them up in your area, but if you look for local tree growers that have them that will be your best bet. If they were grown in your area they should do fine.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:43 AM

To the best of my knowledge, they areonly good to hardiness zone 5, and I think your area might not fall into that. If your looking for ealier acorn production as your main goal, you might be better off looking into hydrids.
Here is one place that has them (and they are in Battle creek)
http://www.morsenursery.com/

I don't have any personal experiance with either the place of the trees
Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ray, Thanks for the link! This place is just what I was looking for! I spoke with them and they have some great ideas for me!
Old 03-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

i planted several last year and they appeared to do well (lots of leaf and growth)- this is their first winter so I'll have to wait and see how they do. I'm in south central NY.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Spike

In northwestern PA, I planted sawtooths acquired from North Carolina. Those thatsurvivedappear healthy. They were planted in an open field with tremendous weed competition and deer rubbing. Many are 4 - 6 tall. Most were 1 - 2 feet when planted.They were planted 5 years ago. No acorns yet.

The local forester recommends English Oak. He says they grow fast and produce large sweet acorns in about 10 years. Only a few years later than a sawtooth.

I just received 100 English Oak from Cold Stream Nursery located in Michigan. See: http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ray, thanks for the link to Morse nursery! I went by there last week and picked up 3 Gobbler Sawtooth Oaks with the tubes they sell. I didn't want to get too many of these in case they don't do well. I also picked up 10 Silky Dogwood and 10 Hazelnut. I hope this stuff takes because I like the looks of the Hazelnut and the Sawtooth. I have on order another 500 Red Pines that at pick up next week that I got from a Co-Op in Northern Michigan! So its looking good!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

my sawtooths have wintered well and are doing fine. I have probably planted 30 or more and most have survived. hope they continue to grow and the deer don't whack them too much. here are a couple that I have behing my house.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

other pic

Old 06-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

oops

Quick Reply: Sawtooth Oak

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.