Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Broadcasting small seed like clover...... >

Broadcasting small seed like clover......

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Broadcasting small seed like clover......

Old 08-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a muzzle loader, just put a small charge down the barrel followed by a wadded up piece of paper towel. Then fill the barrel with seed and let her rip.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like mrbb said, I feel as though clover seed is too small and expensive to use ATV. I use a hand spreader, figure out the area that should be covered by the amount in the spreader at the recommended application rate, and walk at a speed that equates to the spreader volume vs. area to be covered. It doesn't take much time to cover a significant amount of ground. If you are planting large acreage, over say five + acres, find a farmer with the appropriate equipment.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Spike

I sowed another 1.0 ac of clover on top of a WI oats cover crop with my Moultries ATV electric seed and I feel I wasted 0%. I set the seeder to sow at 50% ad sow it 2 times. This 1 ac of clover seeding took all of 10 minutes with my gold cart and Moultries seeder.

On the same day I sowed 1/2 ac of turnip-radish set at 50% and even doing it 2 times it took all of 5 minutes and no walking on my sore knees and hips.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy
I sowed another 1.0 ac of clover on top of a WI oats cover crop with my Moultries ATV electric seed and I feel I wasted 0%. I set the seeder to sow at 50% ad sow it 2 times. This 1 ac of clover seeding took all of 10 minutes with my gold cart and Moultries seeder.

On the same day I sowed 1/2 ac of turnip-radish set at 50% and even doing it 2 times it took all of 5 minutes and no walking on my sore knees and hips.
how many LBS of clover seed did you
Old 08-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
how many LBS of clover seed did you
I sowed the recommended amount for 1.0 ac of 8 lbs. I set the electric seeder at a very small opening of about 50% from past experience and sow the seed 2 times. This time I did set the opening a little too small and had to seed the 1.0 ac 3 times. Not one wasted seed.

I've been seeding and spreading fertilizer at 50% for the last 5 yrs and never had a problem. The very 1st year I used the recommended seeding gauge opening on my hand seeder and ran out of seed before done. Six years ago when I started planting food plots I ran out of fertilizer 3/4 the way through the plots. That's also the reason I started using 50% and doing everything 2 times. It works for me.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy
I sowed the recommended amount for 1.0 ac of 8 lbs. I set the electric seeder at a very small opening of about 50% from past experience and sow the seed 2 times. This time I did set the opening a little too small and had to seed the 1.0 ac 3 times. Not one wasted seed.

I've been seeding and spreading fertilizer at 50% for the last 5 yrs and never had a problem. The very 1st year I used the recommended seeding gauge opening on my hand seeder and ran out of seed before done. Six years ago when I started planting food plots I ran out of fertilizer 3/4 the way through the plots. That's also the reason I started using 50% and doing everything 2 times. It works for me.
well you must be the exception here, as I have been doing food plots since the late 80's was one of the whitetail institutes first guys in PA
I have always had the complete oppisite results with smnall seeds in a atv mounted spreader
I always use a bag spreader on plots up to 3 acres
and I typically planted 16 acres a food plots a yr for about 20+ yrs now
glad it works for you, but I do think your an exception to the rule over the norm with an atv spreader
hey what ever works, have at it!
Old 09-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Spike

I don't see any difference in adjusting a small opening on my hand seeder or adjusting a small opening on my electric ATV seeder for small seed like clover or radish-turnip. Maybe I should do a video on the adjustment. Not!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default ATV spreader

I used an ATV spreader from Gemplers for a number of years. It had a pretty fine gate adjustment and I could close it enough for clover or alfalpha. It died this year and in a pinch I bought a $100 ATV spreader from Tractor Supply, mostly because I couldn’t wait for another one from Gemplers, and it worked great. Fine gate adjustment and flings seeds about 20 feet. The only downside is it’s small and only holds about 50 pounds of seed or fertilizer which means stopping and refilling on larger plots. But...it does work and it’s a good price.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:03 AM
Spike

Deleted by bocajnala. Posting off topic

Last edited by Bocajnala; 09-27-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:47 AM
Spike

Default ATV Spreader

I bought a seed spreader from Sportsman's Guide, mounted to the front rack of my ATV. I attached a sheet metal plate in the rectangular opening just above the metal slider. I drilled 10 or so 1/16th holes in the metal plate. This slows down the drop rate to the point I can use this spread for clover. Need to experiment with size and number of holes. I drilled out two pop rivets and used the holes to bolt the restrictor plate in place using number 8 bolts, such as you would use to mount an electrical outlet to the box. Start with minimum (10) holes, check seed rate and drill more if necessary. Use wingnuts on the # 8 bolts, if possible for easy changeout for coarser seeds such as oats. Works great for clover. Make 3 or four passes at a low spread rate so you don't overseed and run out. The clover seed is expensive if you use good quality seed.

Quick Reply: Broadcasting small seed like clover......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.