Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

QDM

Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: QDM

ORIGINAL: npaden

I have in fact ventured from the south and do know what deerAND elk country looks like as I grew up in the beautiful state of Montana. Maybe you should think about leaving your little 150 acre hidey hole and seeing how if everyone practiced what you are preaching there would be serious issues in maintaining healthy sustained deer populations.
I hope that extra ten acres of yours keeps it from being just a hidey hole!
I have spent many years and allot of money buying my land for the sole reason of keeping people from developing it. And the one thing you will quickly find out after you own land is how many experts will be around to tell you what to do with it.
I have hunted to many states to remember & fished from Texas to Alaska ,I have seen a little along the way.
I stated I don't shoot doe and people that know nothing about me or where I hunt step up to say I am wrong.And probably single handedly cased global warming!
I hunt because I enjoy hunting ,I do not hunt to kill and when I start feeling I must kill or told I must kill I will quit!

Good luck with the land you will never regret it.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do live out in the country on a small 42 acre piece of land. I was excited to see 10 does and 2 bucks onthe property we live on last week. Again, the area I am at has very low deer populations and I am happy to see so many does because that means that the population can grow.

As far as what I do with my land, I actually listen to what the experts recommend. Before this year I saw 5 deer in 6 years on my property. This year I planted 5 acres in wheat and oats and so far this year I've seen over 20 deer and at least 14 of them are different deer and not just seeing the same deer over and over. (seeing 12 at one time helps confirm that). The very first thing I am going to do when I close on my new land is meet with a biologist from the Texas Parks and Wildlife who will walk the land with me and recommend things that I can do that would improve the wildlife habitat on the land. This is free of charge. I am not a wildlife biologist and I am very happy to have one available to me.

Most state wildlife and forestry departments have a similar service that they will provide, most of the time free of charge. They actually sometimes even have cost sharing provisions where they will actually pay you to implement some of their recomendations.

Pretty cool stuff.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 PM

In our area they the wildlife biologist recommend a 1 to 1 buck to doe ratio. It sounds kinda crazy, because everyone would have to shoot alot of does. But it makes sense that there would be more native grass and food in place to increase the overall buck size and also enhance the nutrition of the existing population.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once the buck:doe ratio is in balance - then you just have to shoot one doe for every buck. Its getting the herd in balance that takes a little time - keeping it there is simple management.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:08 AM

"Not only don't I shoot them I spend some of my pre tax money on six thousand pounds of corn to which I keep them on my land and very healthy."

i also spend money to keep them on the place. They run to our place when the first gun cracks in M/L season. More importantly they stay there in the brush and ravines.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:12 AM

i have talked with some of the so-called "deer experts." They never consider the very high numbers of fawns that do not survive due to bobcats and coyotes. i do not consult the deer "experts" for the same reason that i fix my own pickup-i can do it much better thananyone elsecan.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad to see that I am not the only man on earth that does appreciate the deer that live on my land.I enjoy planting crops that are never harvested just to make the winter a little easer for them and the turkeys.
I have planted an apple orchard built ponds and keep honey bees to pollinate crops all for the good of the animals that live here.
Some areas of the country seem over run with deer but in my area that is not the case.
And I also believe that I do know what is best on my property.Any one that would like to stop by is more than welcome,just send me a P.M.
Good luck and great hunting ,
Jim
Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Me, my Dad and Brother own 80ac and have hunting rights to 40ac adjacent. We only harvest bucks with racks outside the ears. We encourage taking does at opportune times. (not during rut), and some of the neighbors shoot anything and some are more selective. Last year we all shot close to p&y bucks and passed up many small bucks. So we will see how it goes next year.