Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How to start a hunting club ???

Old 12-03-2002, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to start a hunting club ???

My objective is to find 5 guys that will share 500 acres with me on a bowhunting only lease in North Central Arkansas ( I have had quite a few responses already). My question is - how do you start a club ?

First - lets say I have 12 people interested, how do I chose the 5 to lease with ?

Second - Is a majority rules type club best ? I am the landowners son in law, so I suspect I'll be at the very least the Club representative - makes sense.

Third - How to reach a common goal for QDM and management ?

Fourth - Can anyone instruct me on everything I'm NOT thinking of !!

Thanks for any help - its very much appreciated.
Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-03-2002, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How to start a hunting club ???

First is the money... No money, no hunt. With the money you may want them to supply a police backround check. New rules these days. Next, and maybe most important in this day of litagation, is insurance. Make them supply their own insurance with you and the land owner as covered. Also, see if you can get some character references. Unfortunately, these days one must cover themselves aganst future loss. The day of folks being responsible for themselves and their actions is quickly dimishing at a rate expontential to the rise in lawyers...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 12-03-2002, 03:03 PM

I've hunted with the same group of guys for about 15 years.The key is to find people who have common goals or ideas about hunting,especially if you are going to be on some form of mangement plan.If you have the connection for the lease set yourself up as club president.You will also need a treauser or someone to handle the money.Make sure to allow money for insurance and taxes if any in the dues.Then put together a rough draft of club rules and have a meeting with your members.Make sure everyone is in agreement to the rules before you take their money.I would then talk to the fish and game department bioligist.He should be able to offer recomendations on a management plan.It may be wise to do this before adopting any rules on deer harvest.With a small piece of property what your neighbors are doing is important.Maybe try and talk to them and see if you can reach some common goals.It would be a good idea to talk to some clubs in your area and see how they are set up.Our club is set up as a corporation for tax and liability purposes.

Billy

WHACKEM N STACKEM
Old 12-03-2002, 03:32 PM

One of the most important things is the company you will be keeping. These people you should trust and share many qualities with for they will be with you for a long time, and its harder to get rid of someone than it is to get them involved.

Our group is set up as a corporation for tax purposes, and we have a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and a secretary. The secretary should be in control of a designated calender. This will keep track of who is using the property and when. If your leasing then you won't have to worry about the days each of you will use the cabin in the off season. It is easy to have everyone tell you they want in, but when you ask for money for the lease or property improvements, that is when you can tell the honest from the dreamers. Ask for references and criminal records, if there is nothing to hide they won't have any problem. Make sure when you implement a QDM package you have a majority vote. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me and I'll give you what ever you need to get you by the headaches that we encountered.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've hunted with clubs for about 35 years and the one I am with now is probably the best. We have one officer, we had a meeting early on and the main thing we tried to do is keep the rules very simple, try to keep the number of members to a financial minimum if the members can afford to and want to keep the membership low then all pay a little more. Start with a few guys you know and get along with then expand the membership as needed with all new members other than you on a two year probation period. If they prove to be drunks, illegal hunters or just have a bad attitude they are gone with money refunded at a prorated rate. If you have food plots and other work days scheduled charge extra for the ones that don't do their part.

Old 12-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

So ...

Check the integrity of the folks that might be joining. Is a background check neccessary ? That seems a bit too personal - maybe just a questionaire of some kind ?

Insurance, like what QDMA can provide ? Can anyone guess the added cost of that on 500 acres and 6 guys ?

CAJUNBOWHNTR - Good points. I expect 6 guys would all have a little different goal in mind as far as harvest quality and numbers and I would expect us all to come to an agreement as a club. Quality management towards P&Y class deer I think would be a common and reachable goal.

DBL-LUNG - You got mail

timbercruiser - What size lease do you have and how many members ?

Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have around 4200 acres with 17 members. A few are turkey hunters and 3 rarely hunt. I would think a lease of your size you would be able to start with a few friends of known character and then increase numbers as needed. Our dues run $1200 per year.