Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot questions

Old 11-28-2002, 01:18 AM

Default food plot questions

I have 26acres and planning to put some food plots in. My land consists of Ash,White Pines,and Cedars,Yellow Birch trees. I was thinking about thinning out some of the ash and planting white oaks and some presimmon trees and some grapes and rasberries.Then a clover,buckwheat,alfalfa. After reading some websites,they were saying that you should put in long narrow strips instead of a large area plot. Is that true? or doesn't it really matter.But I know that I want to have a food source for each season.And another question. So far this hunting season I've seen alot of does and then about 6 diff.spikes,4 6 ptrs,and a 10ptr,a 9ptr,and a 14ptr. should I try harvesting a doe and leave the bucks alone.My season ends at the end of December.And does anybody know of a soybean that can take alot of overbrowsing? Thanks for you time.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: food plot questions

The ideal buck/doe ratio is about 3-1/1. 2/1 is best. Your on the right track. Are you feeding supplements? How large of open areas and how many do you have? Do soil samples no matter how large or small.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 11-30-2002, 07:01 PM

The only open space that I relly have is about a 2 acre spot the other spot is a strip that leads into the state trail system. I'ts about 5ft wide and the lenght goes about 80 yds. this is where i plan on planting the clover/alfalfa mix. on the one side I have a semi-open of trees mixed with ash and yellow birch and then the other side is mixed with cedars and pines,ash,birch,the cedars is dominate. I was gonna cut down some ash and replace w/presimmons and oaks. which kind of clovers do the deer really eat most? Because i've planted White clover and yellow blossom and they relly didn't care fot them.I also planted rape in mid summer and was told that they love them in the late season and not one was eaten.Alot of the cedar sapplings were eaten up. And I tried the Antler King mineral mix and they liked that alot. But then I talked to my local DNR office and was told that the mineral was considered baiting the deer. I also feed in the winter because I like to watch them and that way I get a better idea what is around my property.And their is one doe that was injured in a fight and I believe that she's surviving in partly of eating in my back yard,she doesn't move around very good and I've seen her bedded down near the house as we get more snow and I think she knows if she stays away she'll become the wolves,plus she gets picked on by the other deer,because they know she's injured,but enough rambling.thanks for your time
Old 12-01-2002, 02:23 PM

If you plant trees sawtooth oaks mature fast and produce a whiteoak like acorn.They do drop early though.

Billy

WHACKEM N STACKEM
Old 12-01-2002, 08:13 PM

I don't know were you live at but a 10-14 pt buck is an exceptional deer in my part of the woods. I would harvest those two deer. They may have reached their potential. Narrow strips worked good for me. two 100 yards strips 40 yards wide, along a cedar thicket.

Old 12-01-2002, 11:37 PM

THank for the info.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:00 AM

Planting white oaks wouldn't do any good ,they take many ,many years to grow.Something like 50 yrs before they have acorns..Plant good size apple trees...
Old 12-06-2002, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Plant the open areas... Do a soil sample. If the deer did not hit the white clover it is most likely because the soil isn't sweet enough, lime. Be careful with that winter feeding.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 12-06-2002, 06:09 PM

When you used the antler king mineral mix how did you decide where to dump it,I have tried it but, never had any success with the deer using it. How long did it take for the deer to fine it.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:41 AM

I found a main trail then followed it until I found where their was at least 3 to 4 trails branching off the main trail and put the whole 25# bag in a small clear area along the main and branching trails.Just remember to use one 25#bag per acre.I tried the blocks but the damn bears kept stealing them,besides the deer perfer the loose stuff better,IMO.

Quick Reply: food plot questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.