Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Barbed Wire Fence

Old 12-25-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Barbed Wire Fence

I am installing a barbed wire fence around my property. I know deer can jump it, but my question is will it hinder the amount ofdeer coming onto my property?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Barbed Wire Fence

It depends on the size of your property and the attractiveness of your property to the deer. How many acres do you have?
Old 12-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

one idea might be to leave a section open on some of the established deer trails leading onto your property. These might even become prime stand spots, from what ive seen on tv, deer out west would rather go through an opening in the fence rather than jump or crawl under. just an idea. i would think that if the deer are naturally going to/through your property, a fence wont deter many deer, if any at all, as long as it isnt 8 feet high.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, the answer is no.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer want in,there going in.One guy here put a deer fence up and an electric fence on the other side to keep them out of the fields.Now they walk in on his driveway.I would put in a chainlink to keep people out,then leave gaps where the deer can come and go for water,but put it in a place where a guy would have a hard time finding it.Im still thinking about the pros-cons for a while before i do it
Old 12-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: isatarak

No, the answer is no.
No, the answer is maybe. It depends on the size of the property, what the deer use the property for and how the property is fenced.

1. The larger the property, the less it is affected by the fencing
2. Height of the fencing obviously has an effect...compare a 4 ft fence to an 8 ft fence
3. How deer use the property has a major influence on how the fencing will change their habits. If the property is just a travel route, then they may not come onto the property much at all after fencing it off, especially if it is not a larger property. Deer take the easiest route most of the time, unless they are pressured or they have another reason to come onto the property (food source, bedding area, water, etc.)
Old 12-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, most of the barbed wire fences around here are 4 or 5 wire. They aren't too tall for them to jump, but they prefer to go under if they can. It might alter where they cross it though. If you have places where there are established trails that cross where the fence will cross you can make sure the bottom wire is plenty high enough for them to go under. Sometimes I will take the two bottom wires and pull them over each other till they hang on to each other in a place where you want the deer to cross. Sometimes the bigger racked bucks don't like to go under, but they have no problem jumping a fence anywhere they want.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think the fence effects anything - but if you have cattle - THEY can effect your deer - at least that has been my experience with dairy cows.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:50 AM

The lower wire can be a smooth one about 18 inches off the ground. The deer will go under that.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: furgitter

If the deer want in,there going in.One guy here put a deer fence up and an electric fence on the other side to keep them out of the fields.Now they walk in on his driveway.I would put in a chainlink to keep people out,then leave gaps where the deer can come and go for water,but put it in a place where a guy would have a hard time finding it.Im still thinking about the pros-cons for a while before i do it
Going from a barbed wire fence, especially a single strand barbed wire fence, to a chain link fence is a HUGE upgrade in cost. Not one I would consider for my property.

It's not just the initial cost either. When a tree or branch falls on a barbed wire fence you just remove the branch and maybe give an extra wrap on the nearest post. With chain link you have a lot more work and expense.

Quick Reply: Barbed Wire Fence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.