Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Planting Trees in Fill Dirt (Sub Soil)??? >

Planting Trees in Fill Dirt (Sub Soil)???

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting Trees in Fill Dirt (Sub Soil)???

Old 12-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Planting Trees in Fill Dirt (Sub Soil)???

I have some young trees I am planning on planting, (fruit trees)they will be planted around a lake I have put in, some of the soil, the top 6"-12" where the trees will be is sub soil from the excavation of the lake. I have fertilized and limed the soil already and planted winter wheat and clover, which has come up pretty good, especially the wheat, will I need to add anything additonally to the soil when I plant the trees?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Planting Trees in Fill Dirt (Sub Soil)???

Subsoil can mean many things. Some subsoil from boggy areas is highly fertile. If it was hard clay underneath you'll need organic matter to allow root growth. Sand will need fertilizer and organic matter to hold moisture. If the layer is only 6 - 12" deep keep growing crops such as clover or wheat and don't be afraid to turn them under.

Dan O.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

It is clay, when you say don't be afraid to turn them over, you mean just disc in the existing wheat and clover, add some manure, then plant the trees? Would you bury the manure around the root ball of the young tree, just mix the manure with the existing clayish soil?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a pretty good rule to never use manure in the planting hole. You might get away with small amounts of very aged manure but you risk burning the roots if it's still decomposing and some types of trees can't handle it at all. Compost, peat mossor top soil mixed in equal parts with original clay top soil works pretty good. The larger the area of top soil worked in the better with clay. If it'ssubsoil clay you're original planting hole becomes almost a pot that the trees have trouble putting roots into. It's also important to dig deeper than the tree to have an area for water to drain away. You don't want the tree sitting in a hole filled with water.Another helpful practice is to mulch around the tree with wood chips (4-6" deep and 3 foot diameter. This keeps the soil moist and cuts down on weed competition.

Discing the soil helps work the organic matter in quickly. I've found that mowing and leaving the cuttings will work well over time but takes longer. If you want to use manure you can top dress it at least 6" away from the tree trunks in the spring after the first year (never in the fall). Chicken manure is about the worst you can use (if you use too much at the wrong time).

Dan O.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

How many trees are we talking about? If it's just a few go and get some potting soil at your neighborhood garden center (might even find it on clearance right now). Dig the hole wider and deeper than you need and refill it with the potting soil. Also dip the roots in water gel before planting. If you are buying a potted plant just add some water gel to the bottom of the whole before planting. Or, and I'm not kidding, toss a couple of disposable diapers in the hole (shred the plastic covering). The urine absorbent in a diaper is water gel. Throw asoiled diaper in and you've added fertilizer too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130027144765&c ategory=20540

or
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1278