Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck without gonads?

Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Buck without gonads?

I helped a youth with his first kill in Arkansas this past weekend. He bagged a very large-horned spike that had no gonads.

How common is this? What could be the cause? Is there something to be mindful of regarding this?

I've not seen this before...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Default RE: Buck without gonads?

I think it must have been an antlered doe. First one I've seen...
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ArkieJohn

I think it must have been an antlered doe. First one I've seen...
That would be my guess.

I had to a little at the thread title.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 PM

It had no vagina and a twig with no berries. So now I don't think it could have been a doe...

The hams are oversized and fatty for venison, and the shoulders disproportionately small.

The antlers were strange for the area; spikes 12" long and very thick, it was no yearling.

My 10-year old daughter bagged a spike the day before with a bigger body, tiny spikes, and smaller hams and larger shoulders and fuzzy dice you could hang from the rear view mirror.

Bizarre. Zone 12 in AR is overpopulated.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Markijohn

It had no vagina and a twig with no berries. So now I don't think it could have been a doe...

The hams are oversized and fatty for venison, and the shoulders disproportionately small.

The antlers were strange for the area; spikes 12" long and very thick, it was no yearling.

My 10-year old daughter bagged a spike the day before with a bigger body, tiny spikes, and smaller hams and larger shoulders and fuzzy dice you could hang from the rear view mirror.

Bizarre. Zone 12 in AR is overpopulated.
Do you hunt near a Nuclear Plant?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:54 PM

I hunt near uranium mines, and I have yet to see something that messed up. I think your deer may have ridden the short bus to school.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:39 PM

idk bout the no gonads part, but three years ago i saw by far the biggest bodied mature deer at my hunting spot, but it was a spike with really thick 12-14" spikes.....really weird cuz it always ran beside a basket rack 8. i think they had a thing for each other.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen this before. I shot a nice 8pt a few years ago on a golf course that I worked at. It had a very weird rack and no balls. What had happened was his gonads got caught on a fence the spring before I shot him. I herd that it is rather common in places like texas that have alot of fences. Usually when it happens The deer have weird or nontypical racks.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wimuzzleman

. What had happened was his gonads got caught on a fence the spring before I shot him.
Thats what I was wondering, that arrow probably felt like a bubble bath after the fence incident
Old 11-09-2006, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Do you hunt near a Nuclear Plant?
I do, and it don't affect, affect, affect me at all.

Quick Reply: Buck without gonads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.