Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Quick Tractor Question

Old 08-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default Quick Tractor Question

Looks like I'm buying a Lawn Tractor. I'm 70% sure I'm getting it.

It is a Simplicity about 4-5 years old, with a 17hp Kawasaki and a 50 inch cut. My primary reasons for getting it are.

1) Cut the grass/weeds around my yard/property.
2) Pull an atvdisc for some occasional food plot prep. (If it will)???
3) To pull a wagon for firewood, bringing deer out of fields, etc...

Asking $2800, hopefully I can get it for $2500. My biggest question is will it be able to pull the disc and work up a field? Any thoughts?

Thanks alot for any imput, big decision time, you know?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quick Tractor Question

I would doubt it's going to do the things you want it to do, especially the disc. I've pulled a small disc with my JD lawn tractor (12hp), but the ground had already been worked once.
Brian
Old 08-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

For that money youcould finda Ford 8N and a 60" finish mower in good condition. Then you'd have a true tractor and could aquire implements over time. Very easy to work on and all parts available from "Just 8n's". Heck, for $2800, you could toss in a used lawn tractor with 38" deck so your wife can mow while you work on the plots!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the replies. honestly, I don't know much about tractors. The salesman said "yeah, that will the disc, it has the right heavy dutytransmission and frame for the job, it should pull it" Of course, I took this with a grain of salt. So, you guys don't think this would work, eh? I'll keep looking. Basically I have $3000, but I don't want to buy someone else's problem with a bigger tractor at a low price. What would you guys do? You know what I want to use it for. I do appreciate the advice.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would not pull a disc with a lawn tractor...The transmission will not hold up...

My dad was a Deere dealer...I grew up working on farm equipment and lawn and garden equipment...and went to work for Deere 2 years later (in 1977)...Was a service rep for over 7 years and in sales for 6...I have seen transmissions ruined by boat dealers using to pull boats in and out of the shop...I'm even leary about pulling the atv discs with a 4-wheeler....You would be better served with a small tractor...
Old 08-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

From what I've read and heard from others along with you, I'm hearing the same thing. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Even something like a Ford 4000, Massey, AC, Oliver, Case......all of these made small 30-45hp tractors that would be in your price range. They will pull a 2 bottom plow, an 8 foot disc, harrow, grain drill, and a 4 row corn planter. Most of this stuff can come pretty cheap if you keep an eye out. A local farmer offered me his 10 ft grain drill in good working condition for $50 to take it out of his machine shed. I didn't need it, so someone else took it. These things are around and you don't need to spend $12000 to collect them.
Brian
Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Patience is the key, I'm finding in life. If you need something right now, you're going to pay for it. If you plan ahead and keep your eyes and ears open, you'll find what you need at reasonable prices, in most cases. Thanks again for the advice, I've got family out there looking for something, an uncle who is a mechanic in a tractor repair shop! My goal is to find what I need by next March, I'll get by with my resources now in the short term.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:23 AM

i got a 50'' 20hp ill sell you for $700 craftsman
Old 08-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I also agree with some of the other post about buying a tractor. I've seen them for under 3000. I also seen smal used 4x4 tractors for under $5000.

Quick Reply: Quick Tractor Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.