Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover spray

Old 07-30-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Clover spray

I planted a 2 acre clover plot last summer, and because of a long drought it didnt do so well. its just now starting to grow somewhat decent. the problem is that weeds grew in with it because it took so long to grow. on my last trip to gander mountain, i saw they had a spray that kills everything but clover and alfalfa. has anyone tried this typ of spray and does it work well?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Clover spray

You didn't say what kind of spray it was, but if made for clover it should work. You should be able to get a spray cheaper at your local farmers feed and seed.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:00 PM

i dont recall the brand but i didnt know that a spray was even made just to cater to clover. the guy at agway told me such a thing didnt exist and then i see it at gander mountain. thats why im asking if anyone has tried such a spray and if it actually doesn't hurt the clover
Old 07-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your guy at agway is probably right at least somewhat. "Poast" is used on clover and alfalfa - it kills grasses and some broadleaf plants. The thing with clover is - it is a broadleaf too - and too much of a spray will kill it too. Used in the right application - and clovers will do well.

It really depends on what the weeds are. If they are annual weeds - just mow them before they can re-seed - and they'll be 90% gone next year. If its grasses - then maybe do look into the "poast" type weed killers -or maybe a "contact bar" applicator for round up - when the grasses get tall.

FH
Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Try mowing the clover down between 6 to 8 inches. So farthis summer, I cut my clover field 4 times & every time I come back the clover is getting thicker & thicker. Next year try frost seeding the clover plot, along with a little lime & fertilizer.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:19 PM

ok i did mow it about a month ago and it has been doing better. ill just try keeping it mowed for now and see how it does next spring. also, i haven't limed it yet this year. it got 2 ton last year. the deer kind of just nibble on it on their way to the soybeans. if i lime the clover will it have a more appealing taste to the deer?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:36 PM

Select is another herbicide that will kill grasses in clover and is readily available an most ag stores.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Select is what Ihave used in the past on my trefoil/clover fields with a lot of sucess
Old 08-01-2006, 08:50 AM

I put down Arrest - whitetail Institute - on our clover plots and it worked very good. I mowed them down to about 6" and then sprayed. It did a great job on the grass and did not seem to hurt the clover at all. The draw back is that this stuff it is not cheap, our just small hunting plots, so I only needed one bottle.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I lime mine every year...about 500lbs per acre...and I fertilize sometimes after Labor Day...with 4-20-24...Clover makes nitrogen...

Quick Reply: Clover spray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.