Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Moron of the year award

Old 06-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default Moron of the year award

Things had been going great. Rebuilt an old planter. Got in an acre of Sunflowers May 1, now 24" tall, fat and happy. Put in an acre of corn, and finally an acre of beans. The corn gets to around 18" and time for Roundup, looking good. The weeds begin to turn, then, to my horror, so does the corn. Yup, sure did. Killed my corn. See, our seed store isn't open on weekends. I send my bride with a note to buy RR corn seed. She gets it home and comments how expensive it is at $95/bag. I explain why and never think about it again. I did notice the bag didn't say Roundup Ready anywhere and just figured it's become kind of generic like asking for a "coke" and getting a pepsi in the glass. Big mistake.

Replanted with RR corn borrowed from a friend last evening right before great rain. Guess my deer won't have much problem reaching the ankle-high half-assed ears.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moron of the year award

Do you remember the numbered code of the seed type printed on the bag? There are now 50+ different RR field corn seed available between several brands. $96 a bagwould be one of the cheaper ones.You could have asked for a short growing 85 day RR corn to reach maturity at end of summer.

RR corn could be killed by too heavy a dose of Roundup. How heavy did you spray the Roundup (glyphosate)? If your field is measured, sprayer is measured,application speedand spray width measured .... youthen know how much you are actually spraying per acre. In second gear I spray 20.42 gallons per acre, so I add 2 qts glyphosate to 20 gallons of H2O and sprayaway.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you had 80 day corn - not RR ready - OUCH!

Well - at least the field should be prepped and fertilized. Good luck replanting.

FH
Old 06-21-2006, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Isag - the plots have combined acreage of .7 acre. I have a mark on my throttle in 2nd gear that puts out 20 gals./acre at 40lbs. pressure. I went a bit heavy on the Glyo at 28 oz. to 15 gals for these plots, but what really seals the deal is a couple ofisolated plants which thrived and flourished after being sprayed. Apparently a couple of rogue RR seeds in the mix.

Farm - the corn re-plant got perfect rain and the beans are really popping for me now. I suspect the yield will be off 30% but hey, my deer are getting plenty to eat.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry yeoman, but hey, you still have time.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: yeoman
Isag - the plots have combined acreage of .7 acre. I went a bit heavy on the Glyo at 28 oz. to 15 gals for these plots,
28oz on .7 acres is about a 1.25 qt/acre rate. That is still on the light side no matter how much water is used to deliver it. Yup, sounds like you did not have all RR corn on your first planting.

I used a 2 qt per acre rate on both RR corn and RR beans with out a hint of damage. Now I am trying to get ahold of some Ammonium Sulfate to add to the water prior to mixing glyphosate.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry, but moron of the year in terms of wildlife management goes to my father in southern Illinois. He was starting to have problems with lilly pads in his pond. His Mennonite (obvious experts in modern chemical technology) neighbor gave him some poison to use on them. It wasn't until after the massive fish die-off started that he discovered that the chemical kills plants AND FISH by depleting oxygen supply. So, we said good bye to several five gallon buckets of the most beautiful sunfish you can imagine. And most of the lilly pads are still there.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Isag - my Roundup Original Max says 22 oz. per acre over the crop, 32oz. max per app., 64 oz. max per year. Is yours different? Why the Ammonium Sulfate?

Lanse - that's not good. Unfortunately, I think I still have a firm grip on the MOY title.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: yeoman
Isag - my Roundup Original Max says 22 oz. per acre over the crop, 32oz. max per app., 64 oz. max per year. Is yours different? Why the Ammonium Sulfate?
Roundup Max, if I remember, is 51% glyphosate. Regular Roundup and generic brandsare 41% glyphosate. I also remember reading a 8 qt per acre total max application per year.

Ammonium Sulfate helps glyphosate work more effectively. In your tank it binds up minerals in the water that would other wise bind up the glyphosate. Thus it leave more glyphosate free to react with and kill grass and weeds.

Also some weeds have alot of Calcium/minerals in their leaves, such as velvet leaf. The Ammonium Sulfate binds to the minerals in/on the leaves allowing more Glyphosate to penetrate.

Water soluable Ammonium Sulfate is also a mild and stable Nitrogen source for Plots. You could also mix it with 2,4D weed killer to have a sprayable weed&feed for your lawn or winter wheat plot.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Isag - I'm most interested in the last comment. Are you saying I can overspray my winter wheat with 2,4-D and kill grasses and weeds but not the wheat? That would be a major plus for me. I'll be following my sunflowers with winter wheat to shoot geese in my field. Last year, I broadcast my wheat and cultipacked and ended up with a poor stand of wheat but a beautiful stand of short/fine grass of unknown variety. I killed geese but not because they were feeding regularly in the field. I'm surprised I could go over the top with grass killer and not take out the wheat, thinking wheat is a "grass".

Quick Reply: Moron of the year award

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.