Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

bag of lime or di-calcium?

Old 06-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bag of lime or di-calcium?

maybe im being cheap but if i mix a bag of lime with my solar salt instead of the di- cal is this gonna give the deer the calcium and phosphourous? the ingrediants on the bag say its got in in there. would this give the deer any nutritional benefit instead of the 16$ a bag di calcium phosphate?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: bag of lime or di-calcium?

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

maybe im being cheap
You're being cheap.

A couple of dollars is insignificant to all the other resources you spend on hunting.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Lime will be about 30% calcium carbonate, and maybe a little magnesium carbonate .... and no phosphorus. Di-calcium phosphate is a calcium and phosphorus source. Since Phosphorus is the next most common mineral in antlers after calcium, stick with the Di-cal.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok. the bag i recently looked at had a % of phosphourous in it. maybe a special blend? im gonna check but im gonna get the di cal anyway.im trying to help the general health of the deer this time of year. im not firm believer that this crap grows antlers or anything. if i can get a bag of solar water treatment salt and a bag of lime for 8$ to do the same thing why not. beats buying those off the shelf deer rack cocaine mix concoctions.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1sagittarius

Lime will be about 30% calcium carbonate, and maybe a little magnesium carbonate ....
Here in Kansas at the quarry, there is a little sign in the office that says ECC 62%. From what I understand, ECC stands for Equivalent Calcium Carbonate. To me, that means you are buying 62% active ingredient and 38% filler. Maybe the C.C. levels vary across the country, I don't know. How do you know that lime is 30% calcium carbonate? Just asking.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: psandhu

How do you know that lime is 30% calcium carbonate? Just asking.
I don't.It was a general statement based on reading the bags on the 3 types of powdered ag lime, and two type of bagged pelletized lime in my area. Actual percentages of calcium and magnesium carbnates in lime depend on what quarry and even where in the quarry the lime was mined from.

I believe the "ECC 62%" also has something to do with how fine the lime is ground.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: psandhu

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

maybe im being cheap
You're being cheap.

A couple of dollars is insignificant to all the other resources you spend on hunting.