Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 What would grow good in this location... >

What would grow good in this location...

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What would grow good in this location...

Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Spike

Default What would grow good in this location...

I have about 2 acres of wooded land at my house. It's a fairly wet/shadylocation and right now it seems to be overtaken with nettles (itchweed) which I get a very bad reaction to. I have yet to hunt the area but I know the deer are frequent visitors. I'm basically looking for a couple of different things... one thing is to put something down that will help choke out the nettles (after I get the ground cleared of them) and the second is to entice the deer to a specific location on the property.

I want to be careful not to overdo it though. I know the deer like the tall (6ft plus last year) nettles for cover as I've seen them bed down in those areas. I want to keep some of it as it is and possibly plant apasture mix/clover sort of mixin some of the other areas. I don't reallyhave the desire to put in a"food plot" quite yet.. maybe in the future. Right now I'm lookingfor a more desireable plantin some areas other than the nettles.. more desireable for me and for the deer to eat.

I'm in southern minnesota so it's something that would have to winter ok... Thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What would grow good in this location...

It sounds like it already has what attracts them , bedding cover , food , and water . Find a quiet way to get over their heads before they get home for the day . If it ain't broke ...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would grow good in this location...

You might try some dogwood, willows, poplar and cedars to create some four season sanctuaries.

Dan O.