Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

clover alfalfa/ lime

Old 10-24-2002, 03:29 PM
pup

Default clover alfalfa/ lime

just needed a little help on this i have a small peice of land tilled up and in the spring i am goin to plant a clover alfalfa mix i have but i was wondering if i have to use lime for it to grow and if there is anything i can put on it that will kill weeds but not the clover and alfalfa.... any help would be great

small but deadly
Old 10-24-2002, 04:28 PM

Default RE: clover alfalfa/ lime

Here's the standard issue answer:

Get your soil tested for nutrients and acidity. This is the only way to accurately tell how much of what you need. Depending on what was previously growing where your food plot is, the pH level will vary greatly, but unless it was previously a corn or bean field you will probably have to add some amount of lime and fertilizer.

As far as killing weeds, if it's just grasses then there are grass specific weed killers available whose names are slipping my mind at the moment. If you have broadleave weeds mowing them after they bloom, but before they go to seed is your best bet. Once you do this, they won't grow back, and the clover should shade out any new weedlings.

Sven

---
Live: Oregon, IL
Hunt: Knox County, IL

Edited by - sven on 10/24/2002 17:32:36
Old 10-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah... What he said.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 10-27-2002, 07:16 PM
pup

thanks guys.. were do i get it tested at and what do i want the ph level to be???

small but deadly
Old 10-27-2002, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Typically for Alfalfa you are looking for a PH of 6.5+. Though I'm no sure why you would want an Alfalfa/clover mix? Once the first frost hits, Alfalfa gets bitter and deer ignore it through most of the hunting season. Alfalfa is more drought tolerant than clover but needs a well prepared, chemically balanced seed bed to get started and do well. Consider Birdsfoot trefoil instead of alfalfa for similar, but more tolerant results. Deer will prefer beans, corn, rape, and clover during the hunting season. An excellent mix would be equal parts Ladino, Alsike, Red (Marathon) clovers, and Birdsfoot trefoil.

As far as liming and fertilizing for alphalfa/clover, these two articles will give you too much information. LOL ...

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/forag...ions/ay267.htm

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/forag...ons/ay9-32.htm

Old 11-12-2002, 09:02 AM

I have found this.. do it right, or you wasted your time and money just hoping that seeds will grow. With clover it is very important to lime if needed. Also make sure you use low nitrogen fertilisers because clovers pull NI from the air. Using high NI fertiliser just makes the grasses and weeds grow better
Old 11-13-2002, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

The idea of a clove alfalfa mix is that the alfalfa will fair better in a drought situation and shade the clover. It also helps boost the protein value of the forage crop over all. Also, the clover, if it is good, should be sweet and high in protein during the rut and after and into the harsh weather of January to March.

Old 11-25-2002, 12:13 PM
pup

it actually has something else in with it but i cant remember what it is a big game mix i got form a feed store...

small but deadly
Old 11-25-2002, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

You need to research and question any mix you use for plots. Find out how much research they have in their mixture... If your soil is right and you are motivated, for a few dollars more you will get more with the more targeted wildlife brands.