Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

School project about clear-cutting

Old 03-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default School project about clear-cutting

First of all, thanks in advance for any help any1 can give me. I am doing a school project for a science class of mine and am trying to determine the affect of clear-cutting on deer population, size, patterns, etc. I thought this would bea great place to get some 1st hand knowledge. Have any of you noticed changes in your deer herd after the land you hunt on has been clear cut or even experienced a forest fire? As for our property up north, antler size wasnt that improved, but the deer we harvested (9 in all i think) were much larger as far as body size goes. We had a button buck that was as large as a 3 1/2 yr old doe, and the doe wasnt small. I am especially interested in pics of your deer, and size and time of the clearcuts. Also, any other websites that might have some helpful info. Thanks again.

Mike
Old 03-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Default RE: School project about clear-cutting

Try the Virginia Department of Forestry at: www.dof.state.va.us
Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: School project about clear-cutting

Deer and Deer Hunting magazine had a good article a couple of years ago about clearcuts and the increase in food value it created. You might be able to get some great information in their archives.