Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What do I use?

Old 03-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do I use?

What can I put in my feeder besides corn? I tried regular deer pellets but they turned to mush in wet weather. I'd like to provide my deer with something that is better for them. I also want something that won't cost an arm and leg. Ionly feed in my backyard and I feed year round. Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2006, 07:24 AM

Default RE: What do I use?

You might try soybeans. Mix it with the corn to begin with so the deer get used to it. It provides more protein. For added calcium and phosphorus I'm not sure. You could try one of the do it yourself salt licks for that.

How are your "pet" deer?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do they sell soybeans at feed stores like Agway or Tractor Supply? How well do they hold up in wet weather?

The deer are doing good. Those two that you see in the picture above still come almost every evening. There's another older doe with 2 fawns that stop by from time to time. But those 3 run as soon as they see me. The fawn above ( button buck ) is a little skittish now but the mother is still quite tame.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM

They won't hold as well as corn, but unless you have an open top feeder you needn't worry about it. Any farmer's around your area? They probably won't mind selling you a bushel or garbage can at a time as long as you shovel it yourself They still get there price and they don't have to pay transportation costs.

Side note, if they do get wet enough to get "mushy" THROW IT AWAY...FAR FAR AWAY!!!! Rotten soybeans will near make me vomit (and I used to steam-wash hog barns!!). It starts out sweet and musty, then turns to flat rancid.[:'(]
Old 03-06-2006, 08:26 PM

i love cleaning out grain bins with rotten soybeans stuck in the corners and on the walls... smells like flowers...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:56 PM

LOL!!! you must grow a very very different viarety towards the east!!!

[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:@]....[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(] (I keep looking for the 'pass-out' or the 'puke' icon )